total newbie question: my run won't start keepass

Ask general questions here.
NewbieRano

total newbie question: my run won't start keepass

Post by NewbieRano » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi guys,

I'm sure it's something silly, but I couldn't find anything related on the forums :(

I've been working through the tutorials and I encountered an issue: keepass won't start when I try to run my recording.

When I click the run button of my recording, ranorex blinks green once in my taskbar, and nothing happens (not even a passed or failed log pops up). I attached screenshot of the recording I made.

The recording worked fine the first time, but now it doesn't work anymore? I did create separate modules from my first recording (following the tutorials), and when I tried to run the test suite using those the recordings wouldn't start keepass anymore.

I recreated the original recording to see if that still worked, but the recording in the screenshot doesn't work anymore either. When i enter the path (E:\Ranorex 6.2\Projects\MyFirstTestProject\KeePass\KeePass.exe) using the run functionality of the windows start menu, keepass works fine.

I have no idea what to do (or what i did wrong).

Any tips would be great!

Ranorex version: 6.2.1
.net runtime version: 4.0.30319.42000
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dugovic.milan

Re: total newbie question: my run won't start keepass

Post by dugovic.milan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:33 am

Do you have Microsoft .NET Framework ≥ 2.0 installed?
Are you having thing issues just with Keepass?
Are you using pre-installed version of Keepass or not?

Please refer to this post:
www.ranorex.com/forum/keepass-freezes-t10523.html
Ranorex Explorer @DVAG
Support my Ranorex Ideas & Improvements
My current approach: Ranorex 9.2.0

NewbieRano

Post by NewbieRano » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, this is not the issue :( I've tried installing the latest version of the .NET framework, and it said that the newest version is already installed (probably together with the ranorex installer, as the ranorex installer prompts you to install the .NET framework.

Also, the Keepass app worked fine at first.

N612

Post by N612 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:21 pm

dugovic.milan wrote:Do you have Microsoft .NET Framework ≥ 2.0 installed?

www.ranorex.com/forum/keepass-freezes-t10523.html
In addition to these questions, what happens when you try to just run the application by itself? Paste the application path you have in your first step into a run window (WIN+R) and see if it opens as expected.

What play button are you pressing? There are two play buttons typically: (1) One for running the test suite, and (2) one for running the recording you have open. If your recording is not in your test suite (and checked), it will not run if you are clicking the top play button (1). Also ensure you are running with admin rights as this may be required for Ranorex to open another application.
2017-02-13 16_15_41-SampleProject - Ranorex Studio (Administrator).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NewbieRano

Post by NewbieRano » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:05 pm

N612 wrote:
dugovic.milan wrote:Do you have Microsoft .NET Framework ≥ 2.0 installed?

To answer these questions:

I've tried reinstalling .NET (latest version) but it says I've already got that one. I've reinstalled Ranorex afterward just to be sure.
As I mentioned in my original post (i might have been unclear), keepass runs fine if I copy the application path in a run window (win+R)
I'm using the keepass version that comes with Ranorex.

In addition to these questions, what happens when you try to just run the application by itself? Paste the application path you have in your first step into a run window (WIN+R) and see if it opens as expected.

What play button are you pressing? There are two play buttons typically: (1) One for running the test suite, and (2) one for running the recording you have open. If your recording is not in your test suite (and checked), it will not run if you are clicking the top play button (1). Also ensure you are running with admin rights as this may be required for Ranorex to open another application.

2017-02-13 16_15_41-SampleProject - Ranorex Studio (Administrator).png
I've tried pressing both "play" buttons.

Running it as administrator seems to have fixed the issue. I have no clue why I was able to run the recording without "run as administrator" earlier. Thanks for helping me out!