Troubles with .NET WinForms

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
felipeQA

Troubles with .NET WinForms

Post by felipeQA » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi Support Team,
In my Company, we are defining the Automation Test Scenario in order to write and execute our test. We thought that would be a great idea to create a VM as a Control Unit that follows the needs of our AUT. While waiting for our VM was configured, we create a Solution with ranorex trial version in a physical Control Unit, where we write, execute and checked in our TFS repository. The thing is now we have the VM setting up which are accessing through Remote Desktop Connection and I now we have some issues related with Object Recognition.

First of all, some object tracked on the physical machine are not recognized by ranorex studio and then, when I try to track them again, the ranorex spy generates a different object with its xpath associated and supplies me with the following information:
Failed to load the assemblies containing the definition of this control. UI element identification capabilities for this control are limited. Failed assemblies:
C:\Program Files (x86)\app\somePackageThatContainsFuncionalityOfObjectsWeCantTrack.dll
About this DLL, we we're looking in deep with DEV team and has the memory target setted to 32Bit CPU (as whole dependencies of the app).

I've been reading some topics of other people with similar situations, and reviewing every reason of General Troubleshooting describes, but without success :( .

I'm gonna try to describe the scenario that I have, but if a leave some details, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Scenario VM Control Unit:
Processor: amd opteron(tm) processor 6172 2.10GHz.
Ram: 4.00GB.
System Type: 32Bits OS.

Ranorex Solution:
Contains 2 Projects referenced unidirectionally and each of them coating the following Configuration.
Compiling Output Target Framework: .NET Framework 4.0
Compiling Target CPU: 32-bit Intel-compatible processor
Compiling File Alignment: 4096
Compiling DLL Base Addr: 0x400000

Thanks for your support,

Best Regards

Felipe Motta
BCN Spain

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Troubles with .NET WinForms

Post by Support Team » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:44 pm

Hi Felipe,

The error message means that Ranorex was not able to load the definition of your controls. May I ask some questions about your test environment?
Does the message also occur with both versions of the Ranorex Spy Tool (32bit and 64bit)?
Can you please try to set the Target CPU setting to Any processor in the project settings dialog?
Can you please also make sure that the .NET Framework Extended edition is installed on your machine?

If Ranorex or the application under test is installed on a shared directory, please make sure that Ranorex has the required security permissions to access the process under test.

Regards,
Bernhard

felipeQA

Post by felipeQA » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:30 am

Thanks for your response!
Does the message also occur with both versions of the Ranorex Spy Tool (32bit and 64bit)?
In this case, we have only one version of Ranorex Spy Tool (I suppose that being a 32bit Machine, the installer only set up the 32Bit Version). But in previous attempts we try to set the solution in a 64bit VM (with the same specification described in my first post) and When we try to use the Ranorex Spy x86 / x64 and un both the message kept appearing, That's why we decided to change to 32bit VM.
Can you please try to set the Target CPU setting to Any processor in the project settings dialog?
Done but without success. We try to set the projects in all variants and the message kept appearing.
Can you please also make sure that the .NET Framework Extended edition is installed on your machine?
We have Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended v4.0.30319
If Ranorex or the application under test is installed on a shared directory, please make sure that Ranorex has the required security permissions to access the process under test.
Both are launched "as Administrator", did you mean that?

Best Regards and Thanks for your support,
Felipe

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:02 am

Hi Felipe,

Can you please post a Ranorex Snapshot file from your application from both machines? Additionally please explain which element causes the error message. If you don't want to post the snapshot on our forum we can also continue the communication via email. In this case please send the files to [email protected].

Regards,
Bernhard