Tutorial Problems

Ask general questions here.
kobak

Tutorial Problems

Post by kobak » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi,
I am runnig Ranorex under windows 10, and have some issues with the example from the tutorial. I am copying the keepass application folder to the projects folder as suspected, and I can start and record the application as described. However, I can't manage to run the validation - there is no mouseover when I move to the WordPressDemo field. Before, I tried to run the keepass application located in a different folder. Then - I got a 32/64bit bug telling me that I probably didn't start the applications (test and application) from the same user. However, then I got a mouse-over, it just didn't recognize the field but just a list. I could specify the right cell manually, but then when running the test after finishing the recording, it would fail (the element was not found by the auto-run).
I don't have adminstrator rights on the computer I am working on - could that be the issue? I can't change that so this would be pretty bad.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tutorial Problems

Post by Support Team » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:54 pm

kobak wrote:I don't have adminstrator rights on the computer I am working on - could that be the issue? I can't change that so this would be pretty bad.
Hi kobek,

This is likely the issue. Most, if not all, object-based automation tools will require administrative privileges to properly identify objects. Ranorex often requires administrative privileges in order to access to the elements (to get their properties, attributes, location, etc...) to perform object-based automation. As a workaround, you can do pixel or image-based automation, but this is only recommended as a last resort as this will require much more test maintenance.

If you can provide a Ranorex Snapshot of KeePass, this will give us more information about your environment and help determine if it is a permission issue, or something else.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Ned

kobak

Post by kobak » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:41 am

i would strongly prefer not to post ANY files from my system online - especially if I don't fully understand the software generating it, sorry. I tried the object recognition by image, with the result that nothing is logged by the validation anymore. So that is a complete fail.

Also - I can't seem to consistently reproduce the error(s) (although every of my 10+ attempts up to now did end in an error in some way or another).
One error is as previously described - the WordPressDemo cell is not recognized as an object. Another is that nothing in the keepass application is recognized as an object by the ranorex validation. Can you explain to me when I do have to switch between image based object recognition and the other option - a the beginning or during the recording? During validation it is greyed out.

Our plan was to use ranorex within a network in which i will NEVER have administrator's rights - what's your advice about that: Should we abandon the plan right now in that case? I'm still hoping we get ranorex to work for us, but at the moment I am not very hopeful.

kobak

Post by kobak » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:08 am

I by now read another post which clearly states that Ranorex studio does NOT need administrator priviliges to run. Can you tell me which is true? If I can run ranorex studio but without administrator rights I can't use it for automatic testing, that would not be a big help for me.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Ranorex is a Software Development Framework designed specifically to create automated software testing software. If you are using Ranorex then you are a software developer, even if you never write any code yourself.

As a software developer you NEED to have administrator rights on your local system in order to be able to configure and create software (in other words, to do your job).

You don't NEED to run Ranorex as an administrator, it will RUN and WORK in many cases without being run as an administrator. HOWEVER, there are many situations where Ranorex cannot identify and act upon elements in systems under test if it is not started as an administrator.
Shortcuts usually aren't...