UI changes

Ask general questions here.
Elior Jarani

UI changes

Post by Elior Jarani » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:19 pm

Hello,
I am using ranorex 6.1.0 , so far so good but... their is one issue.
Every time that the developers changes UI things i have to change it also in ranorex.
I would like to know if their is another way to handle this situation?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: UI changes

Post by odklizec » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:26 am

Hi,

At first, Ranorex 6.1.0 is somewhat old and no longer supported. Please update to latest 6.2.1.

As for your problem, without knowing what kind of GUI changes are made in your AUT and (at least) seeing Ranorex snapshot before and after GUI change, example of your test (recording/code module), plus xpath you are using in repo (before change), it's next to impossible to suggest something meaningful ;) You see, we know nothing about your tests and AUT, so it's hard for us to suggest something reliable.

Generally speaking, if you wish your tests to "survive" certain GUI changes, you will have to design your tests and xpaths accordingly. If your xpaths use hardcoded things and especially element indexes, your tests will most likely fail with even very simple GUI changes, like moving element from one container to another one. Unfortunately, even with very clever design, you will most probably have to update your tests from time to time, especially if the AUT GUI is heavily modified between builds. There is no way around.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration