UI element identification capabilities limited

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
bartslaman

UI element identification capabilities limited

Post by bartslaman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:38 am

Dear Ranorex Support,

Due to issues in the Webbased version of Alterian CMS we're trying to automate the Smart client which is a .net with managed C# code. With the object spy I can track some objects but the navigation part isn't recognized. The Ranorex spy supplies me with the following information:

Failed to load the assemblies containing the definition of this control. UI element identification capabilities for this control are limited. Failed assemblies:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Alterian\Content Manager 7.1.0.242\Smart Client\Morello.dll

Since the Alterian CMS is used as a blackbox we can't do any changes on the build. My question, is there a way to access these components by the use of C# or is this a dead-end?

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards

Bart Slaman
SQS Nederland

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UI element identification capabilities limited

Post by Support Team » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Hello Bart,

There meight be severl reasons for that issue.
Please take a look at the section "General Troubleshooting".
Maybe one of them can help solving this issue.
Please let me know if non of them are working.

Regards,
Bernahrd

Alena

Post by Alena » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi!
I've recently started using Ranorex in testing Methode CMS and encountered a major problem: several buttons on tool bars were recognized like a whole panel entity, not like individual objects.
Based on my experience, there are 2 methods available to deal with less-than-100%-object recognition.
1) - apply GDI mechanism (which was recommended to me by Ranorex team).
Read how to do it at http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... tions.html
2) - use coordinates method (which I found out by myself, using good old "try-and-error").
In Recording area right-click on a specific step which has unstable objects recognition and choose Edit Location. In popup window select "Choose click location" and play with it as well as Absolute/Relative and coordinates settings.
In my case, GDI didn't work 100% but coordinates method did exactly what I needed.
That's all for user-level workarounds.
I'm not sure about programmer-level... But I hope Ranorex tech support will give you more in-depth answer.

Regards,
Alena.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:27 pm

Hello,

Could you please send us a Ranorex Snapshot in order to analyze it?
This Snapshot would help to get detailed information about this control.
Please take a look at section Creating Ranorex Snapshot Files in our User Guide.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Markus (T)