Unable to identify drop down elements in chrome

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
andy.simpson

Unable to identify drop down elements in chrome

Post by andy.simpson » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Hi,

Think this is a well know issue based on the threads that I have found but none of the suggestions have worked so wanted a fresh opinion. Basically I have a drop down in chrome where the options are invisible and as a result the pointer goes directly to 0,0

In my troubleshooting I have tried - Ensure visible, focus & delays, Recording a snapshot in the recording process notes that these dropdown elements never become visible

I have also tried setting the tagvalue of the drop down to bypass the clicking but the website im automating just throws an error.

I'm thinking keystrokes is a last resort as I need it to be as robust as possible, might I be able to write a code module to keep pressing the key untill the drop downs innertext becomes the desired value?

Any suggestions would be welcome, I've attached the snapshot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Unable to identify drop down elements in chrome

Post by odklizec » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Hi,

We discussed this issue few weeks ago. Unfortunately, it's a Chrome limitation for select tag and the only workaround is to use SetValue action (instead of selecting/clicking element from Select list). Simply put, Ranorex (any TA tool) has no access to Select list items. Please check this post...
urgent-select-option-not-reporting-erro ... 12627.html
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

krstcs

Re: Unable to identify drop down elements in chrome

Post by krstcs » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Your best bet is to use the method I discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5127&p=33500&hilit= ... tcs#p21534

It's key-driven, so it works every time, and it will fire any events that are needed.

The SetValue function does not fire events in some situations (it depends on how the SUT is coded), so you should be aware of that before using it.
Shortcuts usually aren't...