Unable to locate browser windows

Ask general questions here.
AdamG

Unable to locate browser windows

Post by AdamG » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi,

I am unable to locate any browser (but mainly I'm concerned with IE11). Once I click Track - from either Ranorex Studio or Spy - neither the browser window nor any of its elements are highlighted when moving the mouse cursor over them.

I have the IE Ranorex add-on, pointing at the right folder (Program files --> Ranorex --> Studio --> bin).
Internet Explorer is set correctly with its Security settings.

What else can I try here?

Thanks

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Unable to locate browser windows

Post by odklizec » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi,

At first, what Ranorex version do you use? Ranorex should work just fine, even without installed add-on (just slower). However, if Ranorex is unable to track anything in the IE (or other browser), it leads me to believe that there is specified an app in Ranorex whitelist? Please check Ranorex whitelist and make sure it’s empty, eventually, add each browser you wish to work with. If there is listed an app in the whitelist, it means that Ranorex ignores all processes, except the one in the whitelist. And this could be also a source of your problem ;)
Last edited by odklizec on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

AdamG

Re: Unable to locate browser windows

Post by AdamG » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:01 am

Hi Pavel,

Indeed, whitelisting helped. Thanks!

If anyone encounters this problem, note that Whitelisting is applied INSIDE A PROJECT. Initially I Whitelisted IE on the Start Screen, but it didn't carry over to an individual project.

Also, the version Ranorex I am using is 9.1.0