Unable to use source control with TFS on Windows Server 2012

Ask general questions here.
kmck
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Unable to use source control with TFS on Windows Server 2012

Post by kmck » Mon May 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Hello,

I am currently having issues with Ranorex Studio loading up my TFS projects on Windows Server 2012.

My environment:
- Ranorex 5.0.2 (also replicated issue with 4.1.5)
- Windows 2012 R2 (also replicated with Windows 2012 Standard)
- Visual Studio/TFS 2010 (also replicated issue with 2013)
- .NET 4.5
- TFS 2010 MSSCCI Provider 32-bit (also replicated with 64-bit)

When I attempt to check out a project via Ranorex Studio (by using Tools > Source Control > Checkout) or opening a Ranorex solution that I've checked out via TFS, I get a popup that says "Loading Solution" that never goes away (screenshot attached). If I click "OK" the popup remains, however if I click "Cancel" then I get the error:
TF30063: You are not authorized to access 11.11.11.111\QA
Once I click OK to that error, I get a warning dialogue box that says:
Could not connect to Source Control server. This solution will be opened offline.
After which Ranorex attempts to load the solution, but freezes and the process must be killed. I have included a screenshot for all of these errors in the attached zip file. These errors do not occur if MSSCCI is not installed, but without that installed, we cannot use source control directly through Ranorex Studio.

This does not seem to be an issue with any other server, as we use it with 2003 and 2008 server without any issue. We have now confirmed this issue on two different machines running two different Windows Server 2012 VMs.

It is very important for our team to be able to use TFS source control directly through Ranorex Studio, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kmck
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Unable to use source control with TFS on Windows Server 2012

Post by kmck » Wed May 14, 2014 2:14 pm

Bumping this thread. This continues to be an issue that is keeping my team from being able to use Ranorex. Any help would be appreciated.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu May 15, 2014 3:00 pm

Hi,

This might have several reasons. Are you able to connect to the server using Visual Studio?
Do you have already checked your credentials, if you are allowed to access the TFS server?
Did this work before?

Regards,
Markus

kmck
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by kmck » Thu May 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Hello Markus,

That's correct, I can connect via Visual Studio and the credentials are all correct. I was working on one project from source control that out of nowhere started giving me this same issue this morning when I had changed nothing.

We follow the same steps Server 2008 and have not had this issue.

These are the two methods I've used to try and connect to the project:

Via Ranorex
1. Open Ranorex
2. Select Tools > Source Control > Checkout
3. Select TFS and input credentials
4. Map the project to my local drive

Via Visual Studio
1. Open Visual Studio
2. Map project to local drive
3. Open local Ranorex project file

Both methods resulting in the same issue.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon May 19, 2014 10:41 am

Hello,

You mentioned different versions of TFS, but what TFS server version do you use, 2012?
Have you already tried to use the MSSCCI provider 2012 or 2013? If not, please give it a try since the TFS server 2012 at least needs the 2012 MSSCCI provider. Please also note that the 32 bit version of the provider is always needed.

Regards,
Markus

kmck
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by kmck » Mon May 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Hello Markus,

That is correct, we are using TFS 2010 with MSSCCI 2010 32bit. But I have also tested with TFS 2013 and MSSCCI 2013 32bit. Both resulted in the same aforementioned issue.

kmck
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by kmck » Wed May 21, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi Markus,

Any other suggestions on how to get this to work?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu May 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Hi,

We also tested it with the following configuration Ranorex 5.0.2 the MSSCCI Provider 2010 and connected to TFS Server 2010 and it worked as expected.
You wrote that it didn't work with Ranorex and also not with Visual Studio and that leads me to the assumption that something regarding the credentials or security doesn't work.
What you can do to help us identifying the issue is to enable the internal logging of Ranorex Studio.
In order to enable it you just need to copy the attached RanorexStudio.exe.config to the following directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ranorex 5.0\RanorexStudio\bin".
After you copied it you need to start Ranorex as administrator by right clicking and selecting Run as administrator.
Please upload the created RanorexStudioLog.txt file or send it to [email protected].

Thanks,
Markus

kmck
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by kmck » Thu May 22, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi Markus,

This error does not occur when checking in/out directly from Visual Studio (as long as MSSCCI is NOT installed). It's that the error occurred within Ranorex using both Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2013. Once I install MSSCCI, the issue with the frozen "Loading" dialogue box then occurs.

I have copied the RanorexStudio.exe.config to the specified folder and ran Ranorex, but I cannot locate RanorexStudioLog.txt. Under which folder will the RanorexStudioLog.txt save?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri May 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi,

Have you started Ranorex Studio by right clicking and selecting "Run as administrator"?
If so, the "RanorexStudioLog.txt" should be in the same directory where you copied the config file to.

Regards,
Markus

kmck
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by kmck » Fri May 23, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi Markus,

I have, but the report did not generate.