Unable to work with new wpf plugin value wpfimprovedonly

Ask general questions here.
Shakib

Unable to work with new wpf plugin value wpfimprovedonly

Post by Shakib » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi,

1. I was using 5.4.2 ranorex version earlier,now i have updated to 7.0.0.

2. After upgrade, unable to track wpf controls(like text box, buttons etc) directly instead i could have tracked the parent control only like container.

3. I found a solution in ranorex forum and i have changed the value of WPF plugin name wpf legecy/ UIA Interaction from wpfpreferred to wpfimprovedonly and it started tracking all wpf controls.

4. Then i found an issue that few existing wpf controls which were working fine when plugin value was wpfpreferred were showing an unable to found error after changing the plugin value to wpfimprovedonly.

5. It works when i track those wpf control again, but why the existing control which were working fine after changing the plugin value it is not working.

6. Last and important thing we do not know what and where are the existing wpf controls will give the same error so it is very difficult to change and track each and every control once again.

7. Please provide me a solutions, ASAP.It would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Shakib Qureshi

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Unable to work with new wpf plugin value wpfimprovedonly

Post by odklizec » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:02 am

Hi,

The thing is, that the xpaths generated by new improved plugin are not compatible with old one. So if you forced Ranorex to use new improved plugin, the old xpaths stored in repo may not work.

Additionally, Ranorex cannot work with mixed new and old wpf plugin. It either uses new or old one. In other words, if there are stored xpaths generated with old wpf plugin, it automatically uses old plugin, except of course you force it to use new plugin. But then it cannot work with those old xpaths ;)

The most recommended approach is to re-generate old wpf xpaths and use new plugin...
https://www.ranorex.com/blog/ranorex-7- ... ositorywpf

To avoid re-generating xpaths, you will have to use the old plugin. The good question is, why Ranorex suddenly cannot track some elements, which (I assume) worked before? This could be some kind of a bug in old/new wpf plugin switch?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Unable to work with new wpf plugin value wpfimprovedonly

Post by Support Team » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi Shakib,

If you still experience any issues with your WPF plugin configuration, please contact [email protected] directly. This will enable us to provide a faster solution for your open issues.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Johannes