Unexpected error with MS ACCESS controls identification

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
Stas_Tserk

Unexpected error with MS ACCESS controls identification

Post by Stas_Tserk » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:59 am

Hello all,
I was writing scripts using Ranorex 5.4.4. All was fine, any controls have recognition fast and without any issue.
But at one moment Ranorex Studio Recorder and Spy stop recognition lots of elements. For example, on access form I have buttons, text and etc. Now Ranorex can find only big panels without any controls in it.
I haven't changed any setting. What can it be?

Most of previous tests now rewrite and use coordinates in this panels, but I recorded them with controls(buttons and etc), not coordinates in panels.

Maybe I failed somewhere, but I need your help to solve my issue. I've tried to restart Ranorex and Access, but it doesn't help :(

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Unexpected error with MS ACCESS controls identification

Post by odklizec » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:08 am

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is too little relevant information in your post so there is not much we can suggest. Apparently, something must have changed on your computer since it last worked? Have you updated Ranorex/Access? Have you changed Ranorex settings? Have you installed some MS updates?

Additionally, please post a Ranorex xpath of the element that worked before and now fails. Post also a Ranorex snasphot (not screenshot) from MS Access, ideally, try to take the snapshot of element that now fails. If Ranorex Spy fails to identify that particular element, post a snapshot of the last recognized element. And finally, post the exact error message you are getting.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Stas_Tserk

Post by Stas_Tserk » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:24 pm

Apparently, something must have changed on your computer since it last worked? Have you updated Ranorex/Access? Have you changed Ranorex settings? Have you installed some MS updates?
I haven't changed any settings or installed any updates. If really I gave you full info that I have.I am disappointed that I don't have more info.

In attach you can find snapshot. I add it to Studio (add to repository include child.) I didn't find controls what I cannot find using recording.
When I am trying to record I get only OFormSub without any child. I added screenshot with it. Its small, but on form you can find that red frame surround all form.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:42 pm

Hi,

Please upload also the exact error you are getting (it most probably shows failed xpath). The best would be to upload entire report file from failed test.

I tried to find the OFormSub highlighted in your screenshot (using its xpath stored in repository) and Ranorex correctly found it in your provided snapshot. So I'm not exactly sure which control causes you a problem.

BTW, which version of access do you use? Could you please post a sample recording (with repository), which worked before and now fails?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Stas_Tserk

Post by Stas_Tserk » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:44 pm

Please upload also the exact error you are getting (it most probably shows failed xpath)
I don't have error. Ranorex records coordinates on OFormSub to find controls.
All of my previous tests have the same at the moment, but in past they contain clicking on controls, not coordinates on form. I think that I failed, but I don't know how to fix it.
I tried to find the OFormSub highlighted in your screenshot (using its xpath stored in repository) and Ranorex correctly found it in your provided snapshot. So I'm not exactly sure which control causes you a problem.
Yes, snapshot contains buttons and other controls. I have problems only with recording.
BTW, which version of access do you use?
I use Access 2007.
Could you please post a sample recording (with repository), which worked before and now fails?
As I said, now all tests use coordinates on form, not controls. I can write tests, but finding controls use coordinates on forms are very inflexible.

I tried to start new project and record again any step, but Ranorex continue using coordinates on form, not control.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi,

I would suggest to uninstall and reinstall Ranorex. Another thing you might try is to install Ranorex on different computer. Just to check if it works/does not work the same on any computer?

Your described behavior is definitely not normal and I still think there must be something different on your PC (since it last worked).
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Stas_Tserk

Post by Stas_Tserk » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:22 am

I would suggest to uninstall and reinstall Ranorex.
It doesn't help :(
Another thing you might try is to install Ranorex on different computer. Just to check if it works/does not work the same on any computer?
I cannot start this Access project on different computer. I get some references errors and don't know how to fix it.
Your described behavior is definitely not normal and I still think there must be something different on your PC (since it last worked).
I am working on remote work station, but as I asked other people no one changes anything.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:46 am

Wait, are you working with remote desktop? Just to be sure, do you have Ranorex installed and started on that remote machine? You know, Ranorex cannot identify the elements from remote desktop screen! So if you want to record/replay things on a remote computer (accessed via remote desktop, vnc, etc...), you need to install and run Ranorex on that remote computer! You cannot start Ranorex locally, launch remote desktop and record things from remote desktop. This will never work, because Remote Desktop simply provides just a bunch of screenshots in rapid succession ;) So there is nothing to identify.

Please check this blog post about working with Ranorex on remote machines:
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... norex.html
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Stas_Tserk

Post by Stas_Tserk » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:49 pm

Just to be sure, do you have Ranorex installed and started on that remote machine
Yes, sure, Ranorex installed on remote machine.
Please check this blog post about working with Ranorex on remote machines:
I've read this guide and setup my settings, but it doesn't help :(

Is Ranorex good for working with MS Access? Maybe you have info about it?
I have created a simple MS Access project (form with some buttons) and Ranorex cannot find them :(

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:08 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid, I'm out of ideas then. In my opinion, there must be something different on that machine. As I mentioned before, I would suggest to try it on another machine.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Stas_Tserk

Post by Stas_Tserk » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:12 am

Anyway thanks for your help, odklizec!