URL display popup on Browser

Ask general questions here.
Eamonn

URL display popup on Browser

Post by Eamonn » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:11 pm

When using Chrome Version 48.0.2564.109 m or Firefox version 43.0.1 if I move the curser over an element which contains a link the full pageUrl is displayed in the bottom left hand corner of the browser window, like a popup but it is not a dialog box.
See here
url_link_popup.PNG
Please view the bottom section of the attachement where I have added the red circle and arrow.

I am unable to track this 'popup' using the Ranorex Spy. When I move the curser from the element to the Ranorex application to click on the 'track' button the 'popup' on the browser window disappears.

I wish to be able to validate this 'popup' is visible and I also need to be able to validate the innertext of the 'popup' displayed.

How do I do this using, preferably, a recorded module or if not possible using a recorded module the necessary C# code?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Eamonn on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: URL display popup on Browser

Post by odklizec » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:35 pm

Hi,

I don't think there is a way to track this popup. Definitely not with Track/Record or even Instant Tracking feature (Ctrl+LeftWin shortcut). The thing is that even with enabled Instant Tracking, you will not be able to capture the link, because once you move the mouse outside the link, the popup disappears.

Anyway, I think it's pointless to validate this popup. It just shows the content of href attribute of atag element. So all you need to do is to track the link itself and validate the content of href attribute...
Validate_Href.png
You see, it's exactly what's displayed in the popup, so there is no need to validate the popup itself.

BTW, if you really...really need to validate that popup, then it can be found (in FF) under this path:

Code: Select all

/form[@title='Google - Mozilla Firefox']//container//statusbar/text
StatusBarText.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Eamonn

Post by Eamonn » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Thank you very much for you reply, it very helpful.
It is very much as I believed. I do wish to validate the 'popup' because is it stated so in the Manual Test Case I am automating.
It is part of an ADA Compliance test. But I maybe able to do as you suggest and validate the Href link in the actual element that has been selected or use the /form[@title='Google - Mozilla Firefox']//container//statusbar/text in a code module.

Thanks again, Eamonn

gilbar16

Post by gilbar16 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Hello Eamonn,

For the wish of being able to validate the popup is visible...

Have you given the Capture Screenshot (Report Action) a try?

So you validate the value of the href attribute as suggested by odklizec then show the screenshot in the results.

...just a thought...

Gilbert

Eamonn

Post by Eamonn » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks for that suggestion, I was considering this option and I will try it and consider how successful it is then.

Eamonn

Post by Eamonn » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:54 pm

The Test Case was based on validating that the 'statusbar' content appeared when the tab key was used, so a validation was needed for each tab action through the webpage elements. Each element with a navigation link is displayed in the 'statusbar' at the bottom left corner of the screen.
My test steps are:
Tab to a location
Take the 'statusbar' content and make it the value of a variable using Get action
Validate that the variable is equal to the Href value of the element at the location tabbed to.

I did not wish to use the image based method.
I do not need to provide a screenshot in the report because I have the variable to show in the report.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:33 pm

Are you testing a browser?

If not, then there is no real reason for checking that the popup is the same as the href. You must assume that the browser acts correctly (unless you are testing the browser itself). This is something that you must learn when moving from manual tests to automation. You must think about what is ACTUALLY needed for validation. The reason a manual tester checks the popup is to make sure the href is correct on the link, because it is easier to do that than to check the page's source. With Ranorex, you have a much easier time checking the actual href of the tag, so there is no need to check the popup. Don't just blindly follow the manual test. Think about what is actually being validated.

If you ARE testing the browser, then which browser is it? Ranorex only supports IE, Chrome/Chromium, Firefox, and Safari for Windows. If you are building your browser off of one of those, then you will have to do a lot of checking on things like this, but only if your developers are not using the default stuff.

My suggestion is that you talk to your test lead and discuss what actually needs to be validated by the automation and only do that. Don't put more work into it that is needed.
Shortcuts usually aren't...