${res:MainWindow.CompilerMessages.CreatingCOMInteropAssembly

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
eric.franc

${res:MainWindow.CompilerMessages.CreatingCOMInteropAssembly

Post by eric.franc » Wed May 20, 2015 3:49 pm

Hello,

When I to add external COM references I get the following error in the Ranorex Studio

Error loading code-completion information for SldWorks from SldWorks:
Could not find assembly file.

${res:MainWindow.CompilerMessages.CreatingCOMInteropAssembly}
Error loading code-completion information for SldWorks from SldWorks:
Could not find assembly file.

Is there a way to add external reference to Ranorex studio ?
I have tried with another COM dll and I get the same error all the time.

PS: I created the same post in Debug but it might be that I just dont know how to use the tool so I have created a post here.

/Eric

krstcs

Re: ${res:MainWindow.CompilerMessages.CreatingCOMInteropAssembly

Post by krstcs » Wed May 20, 2015 4:01 pm

Please do NOT post the same question in multiple places on the forum. This causes confusion and can lead to one thread being out-of-date.

Also if you need immediate assistance you can email [email protected]. Be sure to include your customer account number. The Ranorex support team treats email requests with a much higher priority than forum threads as they like to allow us to try to help each other first on the forum.

As for your question, there isn't enough information for me to be able to give a definitive answer, but I use external references all the time with no problems. I have a library project that all of my different test solutions use and as long as the files are in the right places at build time I have no issues.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

eric.franc

Post by eric.franc » Wed May 20, 2015 5:33 pm

Sorry about the double post, I noticed to late the I posted in the wrong location.

I am happy to hear to references are working correclty.

I tried to import a COM dll, The path showed in the import reference dialog is the correct one where the tlb file is located.

There is no browse feature for the COM dll so I can only rely on the registry settings.
The dll I am trying to import is from a third party application and I am sure that they are registered correctly in the system.

I have tried with my own COM dll and I got same result.
I dont get the error at building time, I get the error when the project is loaded in ranorex studio.

Thanks,
/Eric

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed May 20, 2015 6:24 pm

I would suggest copying the DLL to your project folder and including the DLL directly instead of using the browser, just to make sure it isn't a problem with the DLL or the registration (even though you think it's fine, it might not be).

Also, try opening your solution in SharpDevelop 3.2 (which is what Ranorex is built on) and see if you can use the COM browser there. If it works there then it may be a Ranorex issue. If it doesn't, then it's most likely either SD or your system. You might try Visual Studio (you can download the community edition for free now and it's full-featured).

In addition, have you tried from another system that has it registered?
Shortcuts usually aren't...

eric.franc

Post by eric.franc » Wed May 20, 2015 6:45 pm

I am already using those dll with visual studio ( 2008 to 2013 ), I am working on an application in C++\C# that is using those DLL so that is why I am quite sure they are correclty registered.

I will check SharpDevelop and try to copy the dll to the project. It is most probably that I am using Ranorex studio incorectly.

Thanks a lot for the help, I will check tomorrow when I come to the office.

eric.franc

Post by eric.franc » Thu May 21, 2015 8:08 am

Hello,

I found a solution, in order to use COM dll you need to add the interrop from the ,Net Assembly browser tab.
It is not really logical but it works.

The COM tab is pointing to the tlb file that is not reconginzed in C#.