Use Ranorex for testing Outsystems

Experiences, small talk, and other automation gossip.
rappeldoorn
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:48 am

Use Ranorex for testing Outsystems

Post by rappeldoorn » Tue May 10, 2016 7:31 am

Hi,

I have a question,

Is there someone who has some experience with testing Apps made with Outsystems developer platform ?, one of our departments using Outsytems as developer platform.
They have some difficulties with testing

P.s. I am a very happy Ranorex user, it works great with Dataflex :D

User avatar
odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru
Posts: 3930
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:54 am
Location: Zilina, Slovakia

Re: Use Ranorex for testing Outsystems

Post by odklizec » Tue May 10, 2016 7:46 am

Hi,

I'm not working with Outsystems nor I know anyone using it, but as in other cases, I would suggest to post more details about the problem you are experiencing (clear description of the issue, error message you are getting, report generated by test, etc...).

If there is a problem with control identification, please post also Ranorex snapshot (not screenshot) of the problematic element (or entire AUT) and actual xpath you are using.

Of course, don't forget about description of dev. machine configuration (OS, Ranorex version, JAVA/.Net version, etc...).
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Rachid
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 9:20 am

Re: Use Ranorex for testing Outsystems

Post by Rachid » Tue May 24, 2016 10:33 am

For one of our projects we are using Outsystems platform to develop a web application.
Outsystems platform generate Dynamic ID's for the identification of each element in a web page.

To make things more concrete I included the following example
This is a link of an Edit icon that opens a pop up form:
Ranorex makes the following:
a[@Id='App_Th_wt46:wtMainContent:AppTheme_Th_wt21:wtContent:wtAppUserTable:9:wtAppUserEditLink']

To solve this issue (Dynamic ID) we tried several things like: post on ranorx about Automated Testing and Dynamic IDs but without success!

Finally we came to the following solution: In Outsystems we are able to add a concrete name to each element
In example above the name of the element in web page is "EditLink"
So, when we enable Ranorex option "search for Unique ID” and we make the link above shorter by selecting regex match, we will have the following:

a[@Id=~'EditLink']

this approach makes element identification more robust and solves our problem, however this is not a workable approach because:
1) it requires fine tuning for every click and makes script recording almost impossible (lot of effort is involved)

2) further Ranorex is not able to maintain and recognize the improved links when it is selected again in a next recording (to reduce involved effort).

3) in e.g. a form with buttons and input fields, for every recorded click /step you need to correct (fine tune) the link of the form and the link of the element on the from, so this make Recording not straightforward because it requires a lot of effort

Questions
What is best approach to deal with this issue and to make test creation with Ranorex less effort consuming in our case.

Thanks in advance

User avatar
Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11709
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:30 pm
Location: Graz, Austria

Re: Use Ranorex for testing Outsystems

Post by Support Team » Fri May 27, 2016 1:27 pm

Hello Rachid,

You have also sent an email to [email protected]. I'd prefer to continue the communication via email in order to avoid redundancy.

Regards,
Bernhard
.
Image

AgileTesterCarlo
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Re: Use Ranorex for testing Outsystems

Post by AgileTesterCarlo » Thu May 18, 2017 6:01 am

Hi Rob,

We are currently running a POC with Ranorex on an Outsystems application.
The ID's that it generates are changing, however the last part of the id stays the same.
You have to do 3 things:
- change the xpath in the repository elements to just use the last part (regex <)
- in settings: remove the setting: identify by Unique ID
- add a weight rule to make sure that the fields are by default recognized by the id webelement
Solving it this way means that the developers do not have to do something special

Regards, Carlo