mto

using multiple repositories for the same project

Post by mto » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:10 am

Hello all,

For now, i am using two separated repositories in the same project :
- i have a common repository for common modules -> Commonrepo.rxrep
- i have another repository for the rest of the project. -> MyProject.rxrep

Question1 :
Currently, all my repo items are duplicated. So, what is the best way to use separated repositories? There is a way to do a link between the two
repositories, without duplicating all elements ?

Question2 :
I am using a variable in "MyProject.rxrep", but when i set the value in this variable, the same variable located in the other repository (Commonrepo.rxrep), it is not changed...There is a way that when i set the value to the variable in repo1, the same variable in repo2 is set too ?

Sorry for my english.

Thank you all.

Vaughan.Douglas

Re: using multiple repositories for the same project

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Have you read through user guide section on repositories? That's going to be the best place to start.

Generally speaking I use one repository per project and multiple projects per solution. For shared modules I use a Module Repository Project. I've found trying to separate existing repositories to be a painful and tedious process, so I try to start out with a highly organized solution.

As far as specific answers to your questions...
mto wrote:Question1 :
Currently, all my repo items are duplicated. So, what is the best way to use separated repositories? There is a way to do a link between the two
repositories, without duplicating all elements ?
Why are all of your repo items duplicated? This isn't something that should happen automatically. How did you get to this point?
mto wrote:Question2 :
I am using a variable in "MyProject.rxrep", but when i set the value in this variable, the same variable located in the other repository (Commonrepo.rxrep), it is not changed...There is a way that when i set the value to the variable in repo1, the same variable in repo2 is set too ?
The two repositories are different objects. You need to be binding variables individually.

Another factor in this could be whether you're using recorded modules or coded modules.
Doug Vaughan