Using PopupWatcher() makes other Threads run slow

Ask general questions here.
brgibb

Using PopupWatcher() makes other Threads run slow

Post by brgibb » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi,

I recently discovered the PopupWatcher() which allows unexpected dialogs to be dealt with.

It works nicely in detecting and dealing with dialogs however I have noticed that now my main thread is running very slowly as a result.

What is the priority of the thread used by PopupWatcher()?

I execute my Ranorex tests via nUnit where each test uses the [RequiresSTA] keyword. Could there be some conflict here? (apologies for ignorance.... my threading knowledge is not great)

Anybody had any experience of this?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using PopupWatcher() makes other Threads run slow

Post by Support Team » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi brgibb,

Basically, there should be no problem when Using nUnit in combination with Ranorex and a PopupWatcher.
The popup watcher threads and the main thread are running simultaneously.If you are facing any performance issues, you could increase the UpdateInterval by using the following line of code
PopupWatcher myPopupWatcher = new PopupWatcher();	
myPopupWatcher.UpdateInterval = new Duration(500); //Default Value=100
If this setting does not bring any improvement, I’d like to ask you if you could provide as your Ranorex Solution to check if there are any discrepancies.

Regards,
Markus (S)

brgibb

Post by brgibb » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi,

Thanks for responding.....

Yes I changed that setting earlier today like this:

Code: Select all

Parameters.TestRunPopupWatcher.UpdateInterval = 1000;
....so that it runs once a second.... it was the only thing I could think of. I take it my way of setting that value is just as good as your syntax? (sorry...my ignorance here again...)

Anyhow with this in place I see better performance now... with the main test thread running only marginally slower than......negligible really.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi brgibb,

Basically your code should do the same. I’m also afraid if the problem occurs further on we would need the project in order to analyze the problem in more detail on our system.
Therefore, please get in touch with me by email if you need any further assistance.
Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Markus (S)