Using Remote - Ranorex 6.0

Ask general questions here.
coroner71

Using Remote - Ranorex 6.0

Post by coroner71 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:30 pm

I'm probably not utilizing the Run Configuration properly, however; when i go to the new remote agent manager in 6.0 and try to run a project in a configuration...a completely different project was ran.. a newly created configuration doesnt show in the dropdown for execution? I'm probably missing something here... anyone?

anc44

Re: Using Remote - Ranorex 6.0

Post by anc44 » Mon May 16, 2016 2:32 pm

I think you have to rebuild the project for it to appear.

I have an issue with Remote as well. I have a solution file with 2 projects but it only seems like it will run the tests in the main project using remote :(

coroner71

Post by coroner71 » Mon May 16, 2016 3:15 pm

Thanks anc44...
It seems that your issue is very simular to mine... One solution, with muliple projects and attempting to remotely run desired tests.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue May 17, 2016 4:35 pm

Hello anc44 and coroner71,

In order to be able to select a newly created run configuration, the corresponding project needs to be build beforehand.

In regard to working with multiple projects, you would need to set up the corresponding StartUp Project for test execution. Only the current StartUp project can be executed remotely.
set_as_startup_project.png
I hope this information will help you. If there are any other issues, please do let me know.

Sincerely,
Johannes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Tue May 17, 2016 5:01 pm

This needs to be fixed as it makes the remote operations in Ranorex useless for almost all real automated regression scenarios.

Requiring human intervention in a regression suite to get multiple projects to run defeats the purpose.

But I'm going to keep using Jenkins anyway as it is more fully featured for what I need...
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed May 18, 2016 10:23 am

Hello Kelly,

We are aware of the fact that the feature is not suitable for executing comprehensive regression tests. The new Ranorex Remote feature was not designed to replace a CI system like Jenkins.

The intended purpose of the feature is to be able to execute tests on remote machines while you can continue using your local machine for working on the test solution or doing other work. The advantage for the user is that he is not blocked during test execution. It is now easily possible to validate the test script on different test environments (different operating systems, system configurations or versions of the SUT) during the creation of the tests.

Therefore, the run button in the remote feature has basically the same functionality as the run button in the Ranorex Studio toolbar, namely running the current StartUp project, with the difference that the test is executed on a remote machine.

Detailed information about the feature and a troubleshooting section can be found in our user guide.

If you need more information, don't hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,
Johannes

coroner71

Post by coroner71 » Thu May 19, 2016 2:59 pm

I completely understand the difference stated here for the intended use for Ranorex. However; it would seem realistic to include the ability to easily run any combination (or all) authored tests in a solution from this Remote feature in Ranorex... not just an individual startup selection.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri May 20, 2016 11:36 am

Hi coroner71,

Currently, we can consider feature requests only by email. May I ask to send this request to [email protected]? After we received your email, this feature will be discussed internally by our product management.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Johannes