Validate items below the fold of a web page?

Ask general questions here.
Fergal
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Validate items below the fold of a web page?

Post by Fergal » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:20 pm

[Internet Explorer 10, Windows 7, Ranorex 5.0.3]

When validating items below the fold of a web page, I have been recording steps to click on the vertical scroll bar and then move it down so that the item to be validated comes into view.

If additional content is added to the web page, after a test is recorded but before it is run, the test will often fail. The reason it fails is because my recorded steps to move down the vertical scroll bar, do not scroll down enough (due to the additional content) and Ranorex can't find the item to validate.

Is it possible to set up the validation steps, so that Ranorex searches the whole web page for the required item, without the need to record the steps to scroll down the page?

Thanks!

krstcs

Re: Validate items below the fold of a web page?

Post by krstcs » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:46 pm

You shouldn't need to do anything else besides the validation step. Ranorex does not need to have the object visible in order to validate it's attributes, unless you are doing image validation.

On top of that, you should be able to use the EnsureVisible action on any object and Ranorex should attempt to scroll the page so that that object is in view. EnsureVisible is under the Invoke Action item on the Add New Action menu.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Fergal
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by Fergal » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks for your help krstcs.
krstcs wrote:...you should be able to use the EnsureVisible action on any object and Ranorex should attempt to scroll the page so that that object is in view. EnsureVisible is under the Invoke Action item on the Add New Action menu.
I'm having a little trouble getting that to work correctly. Would you by any chance please have a link to where I can learn / read more about that?

Thanks again!

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Hi Fergal,

Please read the section Invoking Actions: Selection in our user guide in order to get a detailed description how to add an Invoke Action to the recorder.

Regards,
Bernhard