Vast performance difference on USB vs WiFi

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
tvu

Vast performance difference on USB vs WiFi

Post by tvu » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:32 pm

I have our Android app installed on a GenyMotion Virtual Device. It takes 7.2 minutes to run a simple test suite via a USB connection, but it takes 1.2 minutes to run it via WiFi. Why is the USB performance so much slower?

I instrumented the app with "Enable Web Testing" and "Full Image Comparison" set to False as described in the post http://www.ranorex.com/forum/unresponsi ... t8081.html.

Due to network restriction, I haven't been able to test the WiFi connection on an actual device. But, I've observed that the USB connection has similar performance running at around 7-8 minutes.

I notice that the time it takes to find a repository item during the test is much slower when running via USB. I believe this is what is slowing down the test.

This issue also occurs in Ranorex Spy. The image of the app screen refreshes much faster via a WiFi connection when I browse the app via Spy. The refresh rate is much slower when it's connected via USB.

Is there any way to fix this issue?

Thanks for the help,
Tung

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vast performance difference on USB vs WiFi

Post by Support Team » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:40 pm

Hi Tung,

The difference between USB and WiFi is that a USB connected device communicates over the ADB (Android Debug Bridge). On the one hand, ADB allows you to deploy applications without interacting on your device, but on the other hand it uses many resources on your device under test which could be the cause of such performance issues.

I'm afraid the only possible workaround would be to use WiFi as connection type.

Regards,

Markus (S)