Disabling Delphi with the switch

Ask general questions here.
cpalex

Disabling Delphi with the switch

Post by cpalex » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:39 pm

In the new release notes for 8.3.2, there is this...

"Provided a switch to disable the Delphi plugin (in case it causes problems with AUTs in non-supported Delphi versions)"

But I cannot find any documentation on where the switch is.

Did I miss some documentation?

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Disabling Delphi with the switch

Post by ahoisl » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:56 pm

The Ranorex technology plugin system usually delivers best object recognition results if all plugins are enabled. Consequently, disabling a plugin should only be used as a last workaround if a plugin causes crashes in your AUT and the Ranorex team was unable to fix the issue and instructs you to disable the plugin.

I would highly recommend against disabling a plugin for other reasons than stated above. If you disable a plugin that's designed for a specific technology like Delphi, Ranorex will use all other plugins as a fallback for Delphi applications, but object recognition will most likely be sub-optimal and you will probably not be happy with RxPath robustness in the long run.
And Ranorex people will not be able to help you if you then have maintenance problems with your Ranorex solution...

Is there a specific reason you want to disable the plugin?

So, you have been warned - decide for yourself or contact Ranorex support, please. We will be happy to help you :)
The setting can be found in the "Plugins" settings tab...

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

cpalex

Post by cpalex » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Pretty sure they added the switch for my issue :)

The Delphi Plugin is causing my AUT to crash, so yes, I have to disable it. Having to do it every time I start Ranorex, and add code at the beginning of every test case is troublesome to say the least.

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:32 pm

I fully understand, though it would really be great to fix the root cause. So if you can provide your AUT or a sample application that has the same issue, we would further investigate into it.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

cpalex

Post by cpalex » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:41 pm

I've been in contact with Ranorex support about the root cause, and was told they aren't gonna fix it unless I can convince them why I need it so badly.

He also showed me the switch. It is in the Ranorex Spy settings, under plugins.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:47 am

cpalex wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:41 pm
I've been in contact with Ranorex support about the root cause, and was told they aren't gonna fix it unless I can convince them why I need it so badly.
This explanation sounds weird, especially if new Delphi plugin causes your application to crash? :) Have they explained what is the cause of your problems? It may help others with similar issue.

If your app is built with an unsupported Delphi/3rd party component, then disabling new Delphi plugin is probably the best option for you?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:11 pm

Hello,

I would be more than happy to shed some light on this issue. The issue stems from the Delphi plugin retrieving all items from the affected combobox (just like the normal Win32 plugin), however there are so many items within the combobox for this particular application that it causes freezing / crashing issues.

The reason this is a tricky issue is because if we limit the amount of items retrieved from the combobox, this would be a breaking change to other customers using the Delphi plugin.

We are currently discussing other alternatives to resolve this issue and thank you for your patience!

Kind regards,

Jon