Unable to open 'rxtst' after resolving merge conflicts

Ask general questions here.
JimLin

Unable to open 'rxtst' after resolving merge conflicts

Post by JimLin » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:37 am

Hi,

Windows 10 running Ranorex version 8.2.0.

I am hoping that someone can help me resolve this problem quickly as it is very urgent. I have just done a merge using git and got a number of conflicts in a number of files including the rxtst file. I have worked through the rxtst file and resolved the issues that were highlighted, but Ranorex is unable to recognise the that the file is valid and states 'TestSuite XML format is invalid. The given key was not present in the the dictionary'. Unfortunately the error message is so vague, that it is impossible to work out what key is actually missing and where from. The stacktrace from when the project loads is equally vague and contains no pointers or information that could help me resolve the issue.

I don't know enough about stacktraces to know if each of the 'TestsSuiteEntry entry' lines means that there are 5 missing/incorrect keys, or if it's just one that is missing'

I have checked, rechecked and rechecked again, but I can't see anything that is amiss with the file. I have tried validating it using Notepad++ XML tools, but it asks for the XSD file and this is the same with online XML checkers . Is it possible to get hold of the current XSD for 8.2.0 and/or double check my rstst file to see if they can locate the issue?

Your urgent assistance would be greatly received, James
merge error stack trace.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Unable to open 'rxtst' after resolving merge conflicts

Post by odklizec » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:06 am

Hi,

I think your best hope is to get last working version of rxtst (from git) and compare it with corrupted one. This should help you with localizing problematic part of corrupted rxtst?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

JimLin

Post by JimLin » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi odklizec,

Thanks for the reply. A colleague has had a go at doing the whole merge again using 'git rebase' (I have no experience of this function), rather than a straight 'git merge' which is what I did. I've not seen the fully merged branch, but he says he has been successful. I will post an update if anything obvious is thrown up that created the error in the rxtst file.

As much as I regard Ranorex as a very useful, user friendly tool, I do get frustrated with the merge issues (small, large or eyewateringly huge) I have encountered with it over the years.

Cheers,
James

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi,

Good to hear you were able to resolve the problem ;)

As for merging itself, are you aware that Ranorex released a Magic Merger tool, which should help with merging typically problematic files (rxtst, rxrep and csproj)?...
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/int ... ic-merger/
It's even available in your 8.2, which you are currently using. But you should definitely consider upgrading Ranorex with more recent 8.3.3 or 9.0, which are the only supported versions ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

JimLin

Post by JimLin » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:35 pm

odklizec wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:11 pm
Hi,

Good to hear you were able to resolve the problem ;)

As for merging itself, are you aware that Ranorex released a Magic Merger tool, which should help with merging typically problematic files (rxtst, rxrep and csproj)?...
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/int ... ic-merger/
It's even available in your 8.2, which you are currently using. But you should definitely consider upgrading Ranorex with more recent 8.3.3 or 9.0, which are the only supported versions ;)
Upgrading is on our list, but we haven't kicked it off yet (there's always something more pressing :-D ).