Jenkins and "Ranorex Agent"

Ask general questions here.
Julien Diot

Jenkins and "Ranorex Agent"

Post by Julien Diot » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:44 am

Hello,

I have 3 "Ranorex" projects that I want to launch with Jenkins via the "Run a Ranorex test suite" plugin using the "Ranorex Agent".
I have 3 "Ranorex Agent".

To be able to run all 3 projects at the same time on all Ranorex Agents, do I have to create 9 Jenkins jobs?
3 projects * 3 Ranorex Agent jobs?

I have currently created one job per project and in each job I run "Run a ranorex test suite" 3 times for each Ranorex Agent but the problem is that they don't run simultaneously but one after the other.

Thank you for that.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Jenkins and "Ranorex Agent"

Post by odklizec » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:27 pm

Hi,

Maybe I don’t understand something, but why 9 jobs? In case there are just three projects you want to run (at the same time), all you need is just three jenkins jobs? Or am I missing something here?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Julien Diot

Post by Julien Diot » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:11 am

the problem is that with 3 jobs, I don't know how to launch a project on 3 environments at the same time via the "Ranorex Agent".

For the 3 "Run a ranorex test suites", only the parameter "/a: "RANOICU2012" changes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:54 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, I can't help you with that. The only thing I can think of is setting each Jenkins job to start at the same time of day? Also, have you tried to add multiple agents to the command line arguments? I'm not using Ranorex agents, so I'm not quite sure if it's possible to start multiple agents from single command line. But it may be worth a try?

BTW, even if you start all three Jenkins jobs at the same time, there is no guarantee that the tests will start at the same time! There may be still some delays here or there. Why is so important to run your tests at the same time? If you are tying to build some kind of performance/load/concurent test, you should probably consider another tool. Ranorex is great for UI testing, but as for load/performance testing, there are much better tools.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Julien Diot

Post by Julien Diot » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:42 am

Yes, I've tried with several parameters, it doesn't work.
The purpose of launching them simultaneously is just to save time for my releases because currently in one job, the "Run a ranorex tests suite" will only run if the previous "Run a ranorex tests suite" is finished or my tests can last 8 hours, that's why I would like my 3 "ranorex agent" to run at the same time.

By creating several jobs, I can launch them all at the same time but the drawback is that I have to create 9 jobs when I only have 3 projects.

Julien Diot

Post by Julien Diot » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:44 am

For information, I use the "Ranorex Agent" because it takes everything with it whereas if I just compile the project and run the exe normally, I end up with missing DLLs (Microsoft SQL...).

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:31 am

Hello Julien,

The Ranorex Agent is queuing the test runs internally and will execute them sequentially. It is not possible to run test in parllel with the Ranroex Agent. In general, it is not recommended starting two or more tests on the same machine in parallel since they might block each other. Ranroex simulates use input and it is alos not possible that two people work on the same computer at the same time since there is only one mouse and keyboard available.

Regards,
Bernhard

Julien Diot

Post by Julien Diot » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:50 am

Hello,

Yes, I understand that on the same machine the tests are run sequentially. The problem is that I can't run the Remote Agent on 3 machines at the same time because in the Jenkins job, the test on machine 2 is launched only when the test on machine 1 is finished. Jenkins waits for a return before moving on to the next one.

Whereas from "Ranorex Studio" I can run my tests on several machines at the same time and several projects at the same time (sequential execution).

So the question would be, is it possible with Jenkins to have the same use as with "Ranorex Studio". Launch a project on 3 "Remote Agent" at the same time?

Best regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mayo

Post by mayo » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:35 pm

Hello Julien Diot,

I am not a master with Jenkins but I do believe they have a setting called "Execute Concurrent Builds" which may or may not help with your situation. The other method I can think of is triggering a batch file from Jenkins. Example below:

Start C:Mytest.exe /a:"Agent 1"
Start C:Mytest.exe /a:"Agent 2"
Start C:Mytest.exe /a:"Agent 3"

Found this on google regarding batch files in Jenkins - https://www.toolsqa.com/postman/sconfig ... h-command/

Regards,

Julien Diot

Post by Julien Diot » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:57 am

Hello,

Thanks for coming back, I'll look in that direction.

Julien Diot

Post by Julien Diot » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:24 am

Indeed, by using a batch and not the "Run a ranorex test suite" plugin, I can launch my 3 "Ranorex Agent" simultaneously.

Thank you for your help.

vergie

Post by vergie » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:10 am

mayo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:35 pm
Hello Julien Diot,

I am not a master with Jenkins but I do believe they have a setting called "Execute Concurrent Builds" which may or may not help with your situation. The other method I can think of is triggering a batch file from Jenkins. Example below:

Start C:Mytest.exe /a:"Agent 1"
Start C:Mytest.exe /a:"Agent 2"
Start C:Mytest.exe /a:"Agent 3"

Found this on google regarding batch files in Jenkins - https://www.toolsqa.com/postman/sconfig ... h-command/

Regards,
is it possible with Jenkins to have the same use as with "Ranorex Studio". Launch a project on 3 "Remote Agent" at the same time?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:08 pm

Hello Vergie,

If you are referring to launching a Ranorex project from Jenkins on 3 machines at the same time then the solution you quoted will work. If you are trying to launch 3 Jenkins jobs at the same time then I would recommend referring to their documentation or perhaps looking into the concurrent build options they have.

Regards,
Sean