VM specs - Win10 performance tips?

Experiences, small talk, and other automation gossip.
dhale

VM specs - Win10 performance tips?

Post by dhale » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:13 pm

Wondering if anyone is willing to share some general info on their Win 10 VM setups- I'm bumping into some performance issues and am wondering what others have settled on for their Win10 VM's for hardware reservations. We have had fairly good performance out of Win 7 with 2 vCPU, 4gb ram, and 16mb video. However we are finding that for Win10 we need 4 vCPU, 8gb RAM, 128MB video and even with that we still don't get similar performance as the Win7 VM's- the Win10 VM's seem to be running at least 25% (and sometimes 100%) slower when running same tests as Win7.

Any tips, tricks, or thoughts anyone wants to share about how they got their Win10 VM's to perform acceptably?

McTurtle

Re: VM specs - Win10 performance tips?

Post by McTurtle » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi dhale,

Try first whitelisting: Whitelisting

Does it make a difference?

Regards,
McTurtle

dhale

Post by dhale » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:21 pm

Whitelisting doesn't seem to make a difference.
One specific issue I'm seeing is that .DoubleClick(); is not always working for whatever reason when using IE. Chrome, its not an issue.

McTurtle

Post by McTurtle » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:55 am

Hi dhale,

What is the CPU utilization when idle? There are a few things that come to mind:
1. If it's a completely new VM and you did not use the latest image, than Windows 10 could now need some time to download and install all updates. This could affect performance. Make sure it's completely updated.
2. Which virtualization software are you using? For example, if it is VMWare and you did not instlal VMWare tools into the vm yet, then it will be running slower.
3. I also found this post with a few not so intuitive, but interesting suggestions :) Windows 10 VM - Horrible Performance

Also, some difference is expected since Windows 10 has many more features than Windows 7. It will itself have a bigger footprint.

Does any of this make a difference?

Regards,
McTurtle

dhale

Post by dhale » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:25 pm

Still working through this with my IT staff, but alas, "real work" is slowing down making progress.
I'll be working on this more later this week.
We are using vSphere 6.7 Update 2, VMs are running Windows 10 1803.