Warning for Path length in RX Log

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
varun

Warning for Path length in RX Log

Post by varun » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:07 am

Hi Support,

In RX 4 version, log not appearing and it's giving warning for character length of path and file name(See attachments). We have many recorded scripts of version RX 3 but now in RX 4 its giving warning each time after execution of script. Is there any way to get the RX log directly or to skip such warnings. Please advise.

Thanks,
Varun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Warning for Path length in RX Log

Post by Support Team » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Hello,

The path in Windows is limited to max. 260 characters.
Please take a look at 'Naming Files, Paths, and Namespace' at MSDN.

Is it possible to store your reports in a specific 'Report File Directory'?
This setting can be done in the properties of your 'Test Suite'.

Regards,
Markus (T)

varun

Post by varun » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:12 pm

Thanks Markus for your update.
One more issue I want to discuss with you is, each time when I try to run test case from one of your tool "Ranorex Test Suite Runner", it gives me attached error. I want to execute scripts without opening the RX Studio. What could be the cause of this message ? Please clear.
And what should I do to execute scripts directly ?

Thanks in advance,
Varun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Hello,

The binary file (<TestSuite>.exe) of your project needs to be in the same folder as the 'TestSuite' file (<TestSuite>.rxtst). You could start the test with the exe file located in the (bin/debug) folder.

Please take a look at section 'Running Tests without Ranorex Studio' in our User Guide for information on how to start tests from the command-line.

Regards,
Markus (T)

varun

Post by varun » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:26 am

Hi Markus,

Can you exactly tell me which file to copy and where to copy? FYI, I have attached screenshot of the folder and it's sub-folder.

Thanks,
Varun.

varun

Post by varun » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Markus, also let me know How scripts can be executed on other systems?
I have to handover scripts for further verification, so how it's possible? Do we need to install RX on other systems too, if so then I think it will be tricky because in that case I have to copy Data-source(excel) on there systems and then need to map variables with the excel columns. This method will consume more time and effort.
Please suggest.

Thanks.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:23 pm

Hello,

If you want to start the test on a different machine you need to copy all the files (except report files) from the 'bin/debug' folder to your target machine (via USB flash drive e.g.). Ranorex needs to be installed with a valid license (at least a 'Runtime License') in order to run your tests on the target machine.

Could you please describe what you mean with the following:
if so then I think it will be tricky because in that case I have to copy Data-source(excel) on there systems and then need to map variables with the excel columns.
You don't need to start Ranorex Studio and open your project on your target machine. Therefore data-binding of variables is not needed.

Regards,
Markus (T)

varun

Post by varun » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:16 pm

Well Thanks Markus FYI. It's working by coping files from bin/debug folder. But file count is quite high(although if we skip report files), which depends on number of times test case is executed.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:54 pm

Hello,

You could do this trick:
Delete the 'bin\debug' folder completely from your project and build your project again.
You shouldn't have a lot of files (around 6 files) in 'bin\debug' after that.

Regards,
Markus (T)