Website test in Chrome on Android device – howto

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
jorisbleus

Website test in Chrome on Android device – howto

Post by jorisbleus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi guys,

I’ve a simple question. I would like to test a website in Chrome on an Android device. I’m using Ranorex 8.0. My Android device is connected via an USB cable and all ‘Developer options’ are set according to the Ranorex guidelines.
Could someone tell me, step by step (from scratch), how to get the job done? Without refering to the Ranorex User Guide ;-)

I’ve tried all sort of things like an appium webdriver, instrumented Chrome package, endpoints etc. Nothings seems to work.

Thanks!

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Website test in Chrome on Android device – howto

Post by odklizec » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:59 pm

Hi,

As far as I know, running tests in native mobile browsers (Chrome for Android and Safari on iOS) is only possible via appium endpoint? Ranorex introduced this option in Ranorex 7.2:
"Included support for adding Appium servers as WebDriver endpoints for mobile web testing in native browsers (Safari on iOS, Chrome on Android)".

I would suggest to start here:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/end ... r-endpoint

You mentioned you tried Appium server. What exactly is your problem with Appium?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

jorisbleus

Post by jorisbleus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for your reply. It's true that Ranorex refers to Appium and webdriver. The link to the appium website is broken by the way. I cannot post the url as new user.

What I've tried is this:
- Downloaded Appium Desktop for Windows Release 1.3.2
- Installed Appium and started Server v1.7.2 in Appium with host 0.0.0.0 and port 4723
- I get a screen in Appium that says: 'The server is running'
- In Ranorex I've added a Webdriver endpoint:
- Endpoint Name: Appium
- Url or IP: .... localhost:4723/wd/hub
- The status of the Appium webdriver is 'Connected'

Are the steps above correct?

Furthermore I connected my Android 7.0 (and 6.0) phone to my PC with an USB cable and prepared it using the settings adressed in android-testing section on the Ranorex website. Next I added my phone as Android Endpoint in Ranorex. Both the Android Endpoint and Appium webdriver are now connected. The Ranorex service app is also installed on my phone.

Then I use the 'Instrument and deploy app' to install a Firefox APK file on my phone. For some reason I get errors when instrumenting/installing a Chrome APK file on my phone, so I used a Firefox APK. I'll post the erros in another thread.

I can now see the Firefox browser app in the Ranorex Service app on my phone. When I start a recording in Ranorex by clicking on the 'Record' button, I can select the Firefox app and click on create. The 'choose website' option is greyed out (?).
Ranorex Firefox App.png
Ranorex Firefox App.png (49.65 KiB) Viewed 614 times
Next the Firefox starts on my phone with a blank page, in Ranorex the Ranorex Spy screen is displayed. There are however no options to select. I can navigate on my phone to different sites, but no actions are recorded in Ranorex.
Ranorex Firefox App Spy.png
Ranorex Firefox App Spy.png (67.61 KiB) Viewed 614 times

jorisbleus

Post by jorisbleus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:05 pm

jorisbleus wrote: - Url or IP: .... localhost:4723/wd/hub
.... = http

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid, from Ranroex 8.0, it's no longer possible to record scenarios on mobile devices! It's mentioned in Ranorex 8.0 release notes and this blog post, which describes how to create tests on mobile devices...
https://www.ranorex.com/blog/create-mob ... -0-higher/
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

jorisbleus

Post by jorisbleus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:39 pm

odklizec wrote:Hi,

I'm afraid, from Ranroex 8.0, it's no longer possible to record scenarios on mobile devices! It's mentioned in Ranorex 8.0 release notes and this blog post, which describes how to create tests on mobile devices...
https://www.ranorex.com/blog/create-mob ... -0-higher/
Thanks, it seems to work. I'll try to double rtfm next time :-)