Website test in Chrome on Android device – howto

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
jorisbleus

Website test in Chrome on Android device – howto

Post by jorisbleus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi guys,

I’ve a simple question. I would like to test a website in Chrome on an Android device. I’m using Ranorex 8.0. My Android device is connected via an USB cable and all ‘Developer options’ are set according to the Ranorex guidelines.
Could someone tell me, step by step (from scratch), how to get the job done? Without refering to the Ranorex User Guide ;-)

I’ve tried all sort of things like an appium webdriver, instrumented Chrome package, endpoints etc. Nothings seems to work.

Thanks!

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Website test in Chrome on Android device – howto

Post by odklizec » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:59 pm

Hi,

As far as I know, running tests in native mobile browsers (Chrome for Android and Safari on iOS) is only possible via appium endpoint? Ranorex introduced this option in Ranorex 7.2:
"Included support for adding Appium servers as WebDriver endpoints for mobile web testing in native browsers (Safari on iOS, Chrome on Android)".

I would suggest to start here:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/end ... r-endpoint

You mentioned you tried Appium server. What exactly is your problem with Appium?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

jorisbleus

Post by jorisbleus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for your reply. It's true that Ranorex refers to Appium and webdriver. The link to the appium website is broken by the way. I cannot post the url as new user.

What I've tried is this:
- Downloaded Appium Desktop for Windows Release 1.3.2
- Installed Appium and started Server v1.7.2 in Appium with host 0.0.0.0 and port 4723
- I get a screen in Appium that says: 'The server is running'
- In Ranorex I've added a Webdriver endpoint:
- Endpoint Name: Appium
- Url or IP: .... localhost:4723/wd/hub
- The status of the Appium webdriver is 'Connected'

Are the steps above correct?

Furthermore I connected my Android 7.0 (and 6.0) phone to my PC with an USB cable and prepared it using the settings adressed in android-testing section on the Ranorex website. Next I added my phone as Android Endpoint in Ranorex. Both the Android Endpoint and Appium webdriver are now connected. The Ranorex service app is also installed on my phone.

Then I use the 'Instrument and deploy app' to install a Firefox APK file on my phone. For some reason I get errors when instrumenting/installing a Chrome APK file on my phone, so I used a Firefox APK. I'll post the erros in another thread.

I can now see the Firefox browser app in the Ranorex Service app on my phone. When I start a recording in Ranorex by clicking on the 'Record' button, I can select the Firefox app and click on create. The 'choose website' option is greyed out (?).
Ranorex Firefox App.png
Next the Firefox starts on my phone with a blank page, in Ranorex the Ranorex Spy screen is displayed. There are however no options to select. I can navigate on my phone to different sites, but no actions are recorded in Ranorex.
Ranorex Firefox App Spy.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jorisbleus

Post by jorisbleus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:05 pm

jorisbleus wrote: - Url or IP: .... localhost:4723/wd/hub
.... = http

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid, from Ranroex 8.0, it's no longer possible to record scenarios on mobile devices! It's mentioned in Ranorex 8.0 release notes and this blog post, which describes how to create tests on mobile devices...
https://www.ranorex.com/blog/create-mob ... -0-higher/
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

jorisbleus

Post by jorisbleus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:39 pm

odklizec wrote:Hi,

I'm afraid, from Ranroex 8.0, it's no longer possible to record scenarios on mobile devices! It's mentioned in Ranorex 8.0 release notes and this blog post, which describes how to create tests on mobile devices...
https://www.ranorex.com/blog/create-mob ... -0-higher/
Thanks, it seems to work. I'll try to double rtfm next time :-)

Gowtham

Post by Gowtham » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:24 am

I'm sorry to intrude.
I also have the same problem stated above. I have a recorded script but I'm not able to run it on Android native browser. I have followed the same procedure as mentioned above. I'm using Ranorex 7.2. Could you please guide me how to make it work?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:29 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, Ranorex 7.2 is somewhat old and no longer supported. Unfortunately, it makes no sense to debug a potential problem in such old version. I would suggest to try most recent 8.3.1 and carefully follow the user guide and above mentioned blog post. If you are still unable to run your tests (with 8.3.1), please describe in more details what exactly is your problem. Thanks.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Gowtham

Post by Gowtham » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:26 am

Hi Odklizec,
Thanks for the reply. I understand that Ranorex 7.2 is older and unfortunately we are not in a position to upgrade it to the latest(some internal infrastructure issues).
However,we have to definitely achieve this with the current Ranorex 7.2 we have and hence expecting your guidance on the same.

Our Goal:-
We have a recorded script on Windows-7 Chrome browser(recorded few actions on a webpage - button clicks,dropdowns etc) and we are trying to run the same
on a mobile device through all the settings mentioned on the thread (Appium configurations,Android SDK settings etc).

When we Run the script on Windows PC Ranorex 7.2 (Connected the android device),the home page gets opened on the mobile device on chrome but does not play further(though the elements are visible).

But works fine with RxBrowser on Android device(plays all the recorded actions successfully)

Need few clarifications/confirmations

1)If Ranorex-7.2 is not supporting the feature, I'm able to run the same using RxBrowser on the mobile device.If it can run with RxBrowser,
is there any settings/steps I miss while making it to run on Chrome or is it such that, it works with RxBrowser only and not with native ones?

2)I have been referring to some links/videos and I'm able to see that in Ranorex 7.2 supports this and if possible, please refer this video link
and confirm from your end "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWb1Y8597Q"

naridozuck

Post by naridozuck » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:05 am

Ihave been referring to some links/videos and I'm able to see that in Ranorex 7.2 supports this and if possible, please refer this video link
and confirm from your end "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWb1Y8597Q"
I have followed this video, and I have a issue. This error is displayed " Original error: Failed to start Chromedriver session: An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. , Could you please guide me how to make it work?

jsmith

Post by jsmith » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:01 pm

I have got this working and can run Ranorex tests on native devices on Android. Are you still experiencing the ChromeDriver error? I had it before Christmas. I fixed it, but would have to dig to remember how.