"werfault.exe" freezes ranorex test.

Bug reports.
Johann

"werfault.exe" freezes ranorex test.

Post by Johann » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi,

run my test with a batch file, as admin.
If my AUT crashes and "werfault.exe" is launched, Ranorex won't take another step.
The "time elapsed" continues indefinitely, even after the preset 30-second wait time has passed. There is no abort, no report and only if I close "werfault.exe" by my self, Ranorex continue the test.

Testsystem:
Windows Server 2016 Standard
Version 1607 (Build 14393.3504)
Ranorex 9.2+git.e5ad4909

Johann

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: "werfault.exe" freezes ranorex test.

Post by odklizec » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:10 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, I've never experienced anything like that and it sounds to me like an edge-case scenario or something machine-specific? Are you experiencing this problem also on another machine? Also, have you considered implementing popupwatcher to handle/click this error? Also, you can try to completely disable werfault.exe, by following these steps:
https://windows-exe-errors.com/how-to-d ... n-windows/
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Stub

Post by Stub » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:57 am

I can't say for sure that I've exactly experienced this symptom, but I rather suspect we get it on our test machine occasionally. However, that box reboots nightly so I haven't seen it live recently. Occasionally I'll find that a nightly test just vanishes - doesn't complete, no report. I've been thinking that it got stuck and the reboot unclogged it. I need to see it happen to be able to confirm if it's werfault.exe related. Hopefully I'll remember to check at some point.

But as it happens, right this very minute I am trying to replicate some WER events that are being caused by Ranorex. At least I can't reproduce them by hand and when I examine the crash dumps or trap the error in the debugger it's looking like an accessibility thing here.

RanorexWER.png
RanorexWER.png (10.7 KiB) Viewed 152 times
Curiously the test continues and completes successfully. There's just a stutter mid-test. I've been wondering what's causing these as they occur quite often here.

Johann

Post by Johann » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:08 pm

Thanks for the fast reply,

sadly, you can't disable werfault.exe in Windows Server 2016. You can add some keys in registry, but it will not work, tried almost everything.
There is not much info about it online, so probably it will be never fixed.
The only solution is: "Do not use Windows Server 2016" :)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... -reporting