What do the advanced settings mean?

Ask general questions here.
jackzhang1995

What do the advanced settings mean?

Post by jackzhang1995 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:40 pm

Hi All,

So I'm looking at the advanced settings in Ranorex and I'm confused as to what some of them do. Specifically I'm unsure about the following settings:
  • Use asynchronous dispatching of mouse and keyboard events
  • Synchronize element selection of Studio’s repository with element selection in Spy
The Ranorex guide offers these explanations:
Use asynchronous dispatching of mouse and keyboard events: This setting is used to turn on or off asynchronous dispatching of mouse and keyboard events during recording. With enabled asynchronous dispatching mouse and keyboard events will not be forwarded to an application before Ranorex has finished processing the event.

Synchronize element selection of Studio’s repository with element selection in Spy: Specifies whether a UI-element will be automatically selected in Ranorex Spy when the representing repository item will be selected or not.
But I'm still not really sure practically how toggling these settings will effect my tests. Could I get some insight?

Thanks!!

vseaver
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: What do the advanced settings mean?

Post by vseaver » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:54 pm

Setting the mouse and keyboard events to run asynchronously will mean that Ranorex will wait until one action is completed to start the next action. It starts an action then moves to the next action then starts that action.
i.e click - > enter text as opposed to

start click -> start entering text

and seeing which one finishes first

Synchronized element selection with spy basically means that when you click something in your repository and you have the Spy tool open it will select it in the Spy tool see the red arrows here.
synconize_minds.png
synconize_minds.png (162.1 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Sales Engineer @ Ranorex

jackzhang1995

Post by jackzhang1995 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:46 pm

Wow, thanks @vseaver! Your answer makes total sense to me. I'm guessing that using asynchronous dispatching will make my tests run faster, but I'm also concerned that it might on occasion make them break unexpectedly, so I'll just leave that unchecked for now. I checked the other one just for funsies.

I'm looking at the settings again and there are a couple more that I realize that I'm not so sure about:
Use UiaLauncher to elevate privileges for processes started by tools: Specifies whether test execution is started with elevated privileges or not.

Disable expensive attribute in tools: This setting instructs plug-ins not to evaluate computationally intensive attributes for Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Ranorex Studio. If checked, attributes like Row.Index do not have a value for certain technologies when shown in Ranorex Spy. This improves performance is some cases.
When I check Use UiaLauncher to elevate priviledges for processes started by tools, what exactly are these tools? What exactly is happening? For example, if I run Ranorex Studio as a non-admin, but have this setting checked, does that mean that TestExecMonitor.exe will be run as an admin because TestExecMonitor is a process that is started by Ranorex, which is a tool? I checked and that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm just not really sure what this setting is doing and under what circumstances it would be advantageous/disadvantages to check it or leave it unchecked.

For the Disable expensive attribute in tools setting, I'm also not sure what these tools are that are mentioned in the setting name. Are they the same as the tools mentioned in the UiaLauncher setting? Also what would be the advantages and disadvantages of having this setting unchecked vs checked?

I occasionally notice this error occur for no reason:
The element does not support the required capability 'buttontag'.
Would unchecking the expensive attributes in tools setting prevent these errors from happening?

vseaver
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by vseaver » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:57 am

Awesome, I'm glad that helped.
I checked the other one just for funsies.
You mean you like to live dangerously.
When I check Use UiaLauncher to elevate privileges for processes started by tools, what exactly are these tools? What exactly is happening? For example, if I run Ranorex Studio as a non-admin, but have this setting checked, does that mean that TestExecMonitor.exe will be run as an admin because TestExecMonitor is a process that is started by Ranorex, which is a tool?
You should always run Ranorex in admin mode. Its designed to be run that way. Not doing so can cause some weird unexpected behaviors.

According to the docs, disabling the setting Use UiaLauncher to elevate privileges for processes started by tools messies with object recognition and shouldn't do it.

Basically disabling Disable expensive attribute in tools setting makes it so Ranorex doesn't dig into heavy objects it makes it work less hard but may be the reason for that error you're seeing.
Sales Engineer @ Ranorex