When can we expect support for the new Edge client (with Chrome engine)

Ask general questions here.
Aracknid

When can we expect support for the new Edge client (with Chrome engine)

Post by Aracknid » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi,

As I'm sure you are aware, Microsoft has a new Edge browser coming, replacing the current one. The new Edge browser will be built over the Chrome engine, so it will probably actually be usable (ouch).

Anyway, I've already downloaded the preview version and, no surprise, it's not working with Ranorex (I didn't expect it to work since there's no plugin for it).

Do you already have a plan to add support for this, and do you know when that might be? I know for unreleased stuff, you give the standard answer, but was hoping perhaps you might already be looking into it and could at least give me some warm fuzzies about it being officially support soon after it gets released (when ever that is).

Thanks,

Aracknid.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: When can we expect support for the new Edge client (with Chrome engine)

Post by Support Team » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:21 am

Hi Aracknid,

Thank you for your post.

Gladly, we can inform you that we have already tested the new Edge browser internally.
Since this browser is based on Chromium, Ranorex can successfully identify web elements after adding the Chrome extension to this new Edge browser.

In order to add the Chrome extension, please follow these steps:

1. Open the Extensions page from the Edge menu
2. Enable Developer mode and allow extensions from other stores
DevMode_AllowExt.png
3. Open the Chrome webstore "https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions"
4. Search for the Ranorex Automation extension and add it

It could be that you will have to restart your machine afterwards in order to let Ranorex identify elements.

Please be aware that we currently can't officially support automating this new Edge.
Our developers will keep track of changes in these Edge browser preview builds until this browser will be officially released.

I hope this information is helpful.

Regards,
Stephan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.