While recording the mouse pointer disappears

Ask general questions here.
AlexxRR

While recording the mouse pointer disappears

Post by AlexxRR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:57 am

I´m taking my first steps with Ranorex and I wanted to try out the record function.

After starting the recording I can work a while with the target application, but as I want to stop the recording and move the mouse pointer accordingly the pointer gets lost for good.
I can only kill Ranorex using the task manager (and the keyboard)

I repeated the process a few times from scratch, both selecting to focus on the target application only or no focus at all with the same results.
As stated elsewhere I´m using a Lenovo laptop with two additional monitors.
The small red-bordered recorder box appears on the laptop´s screen and there is no way I can reach it.
Once I managed to stop the recording with much patience and luck using alt-tab to get to the Ranorex window and using the keyboard to move through the controls, but it is no acceptable way of work.

Does anyone have useful tips for me?

Thanks in advance
Alex

AlexxRR

Re: While recording the mouse pointer disappears

Post by AlexxRR » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:13 am

Update:
the laptop´s screen resolution was set very high - I didn´t notice it because the size of text & Co. was increased by 250%.
Now I can see the content of the red recording box, get to it using alt+tab and move the focus using tab key to pause and stop the recording.
This way I have an escape door.

But the issue(s) with the mouse pointer is/are still open and I´d still be extremely thankful for any support.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:52 am

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. So you have dropped the zoom to 100-125% (anything higher will break the automation) and I guess you already disabled high DPI scaling, as we discussed before? And your mouse cursor still disappears?

I'm afraid, it's a very uncommon issue. I personally never experienced anything like this and I'm working with Ranorex for about 8 years. So I guess it's something laptop specific? Have you tried Ranorex on another laptop? Eventually, try to completely uninstall Ranorex and install it back.

Also, please try to uncheck "Hidden screenshot capturing" eventually, "Assynchronous dispatching mouse..." in Ranorex Settings:
Settings.png
Settings.png (31.17 KiB) Viewed 137 times
BTW, what kind of application are you trying to automate? Web or Desktop? And if desktop, what GUI technology are we talking about (MFC, WinForms, QT, Delphi,...)?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

AlexxRR

Post by AlexxRR » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:32 pm

U R my hero!

:D

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:33 pm

Is it solved then? Which one of the two options fixed it? I guess the "asynchronous dispatching"? ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

AlexxRR

Post by AlexxRR » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:07 pm

I set both checkboxes together as advised by you.
If I´ll find some spare time I´ll try to narrow it down, but for the moment it´s usable and that matters for me.