Whole site validation

Ask general questions here.
Kaalell

Whole site validation

Post by Kaalell » Wed May 04, 2016 10:23 am

Hi! I'm new to Ranorex and been testing it as much as possible these last few days. My idea for the use of Ranorex was to compare a Webbsite with and updated version of it. There are no visual changes being made here just backend, but! There could be visual changes to the updated versoin that arn't supposed to happen, that's where (i hope) Ranorex takes over. For now before the updated version "goes live", I'm testing this by hand with the help of an protocoll with 100+ tests. So I've been testing the validation-attribut in Ranorex and wondering if there is any way you could compare a whole page instead of specific details? I've tried marking the whole page with Validate but it takes in everything in the background aswell, such as my desktop etc..
Best Regards

CookieMonster
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Whole site validation

Post by CookieMonster » Wed May 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi Kaalell,

Why are you not saving the HTML Page therefore you can use the DOM Element of Ranorex and create a snapshot or just save the GetHtml as text in a file and compare the files automatically, with a diff result?
Use the API of DiffTool and then you can integrate this in Ranorex Studio if you want and or combined this with GUI tests.
But to help you in a more specific way, we need a bit more to know about the SUT.

Regards
Dan

Kaalell

Post by Kaalell » Wed May 04, 2016 1:49 pm

I see now that in my first post I was a bit unclear, Im sorry for that.
I'll describe an example instead!:
I've created a webbsite for a customer. Its up and running, working smooth. They want some upgrades for the webbsite that doesnt affect the visual part. So before the upgrade is implemented I host the upgraed version locally, for testing. I test and compare with the "live" version to see that all the buttons, images, allignment etc is the same. These tests that I do when I compare and check for difference are made manually. Thats where hopefully Ranorex could help me out, Ive done test that checks simple validations on pages, but I want to test the whole page and compare it with the recorded one(The live version, before the upgrade), to see if images are not visible, text is missing, text is out of allignment etc.. The visual part!
I'll start looking into what you recommended aswell, all the help is appreciated!
Best Regards

CookieMonster
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by CookieMonster » Wed May 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Ok, now I got it!

To be honest this kind of test doesn't really makes sense to me. In our tests the look and feel has less priority than the functional aspect.
What I would do first, I would make sure that the page you created does still full fill the use cases of your costumer.
Let take a very simple example for e.g: a login page.

Use Case 1:
Checks the correct login
  • Enter Username
  • Enter Password
  • Click Login
  • Validate a element on the next page to make sure that you are successfully logged in
Use Case 1:
Checks the correct login
  • Enter Username
  • Enter wrong Password
  • Click Login
  • Validate the error message
If you want to validate if a Element is on the right position, then you have to use first Ranorex Spy to know which property you can validate to get the coordinates.
But I would not recommend to work with Pixels at all, because then you also have to make sure that Browser is maximized, if not the make sure it is always displayed with the same size, also if your going to make sure that something has to be visible.
All property which are visible on Ranorex Spy you can validate also with the validation function, its up to you what makes sense and what not to validate.
Also keep in mind validating a webpage over the GUI, it depends from its size, it can take quite a long time.

Best Regards
Dan