Why is Edge different/difficult?

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
tiffin.filion

Why is Edge different/difficult?

Post by tiffin.filion » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:10 am

I'm setting up automated tests for a website my company is working on. For the base path /dom[@domain=''] works for chrome, ie and firefox. But edge wants me to use /form[@title='']. Is there a way to use a variable or an OR statement on the base path to get it to work for all 4 browsers? Or do I need to do a separate base bath for edge with separate test cases?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Why is Edge different/difficult?

Post by odklizec » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:42 pm

Hi,

If spy returns Form element (instead of DOM), then it's most probably because of not installed/corrupted Ranorex plugin. Just go to Ranorex instrumentation wizard and follow the instructions to instrument Chromium-based Edge.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Stub

Post by Stub » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:58 am

You should see a Form and a Dom for each browser if the Ranorex instrumentation is working. I don't bother with the browser until I can get that Dom element correctly appearing in RxSpy.

tiffin.filion

Post by tiffin.filion » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:07 pm

odklizec wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:42 pm
Hi,

If spy returns Form element (instead of DOM), then it's most probably because of not installed/corrupted Ranorex plugin. Just go to Ranorex instrumentation wizard and follow the instructions to instrument Chromium-based Edge.
I had to remove the extension from Edge, then used the Instrumentation Wizard to remove it again. Then added it and now it sees Edge as /Dom. Thank you!!!