Win8 Modern UI app automation model

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
joel.heinke

Win8 Modern UI app automation model

Post by joel.heinke » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Is the automation model for Win8 Modern UI apps the same as iOS and Android? In other words, does Ranorex run on a separate computer and run automation against app under test over Wifi? Or does Ranorex run on same computer as Win8 Modern UI app? I ask because I see the Win8 Modern UI apps listed under Mobile Automation Testing but don't see any detail like shown for iOS and Android. Is there a tutorial available for Win 8 Modern UI app automation (something similar to KeePass tutorial)?

Related question: do Win 8 Modern UI apps need to have a Ranorex library built into them like iOS app? Or do they need to be instrumented like Android app? Or can Ranorex automation be built and run against a Win 8 Modern UI app "as is"?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Win8 Modern UI app automation model

Post by odklizec » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:58 am

Hi, If you are talking about Windows Phone 8 apps, then I'm afraid, Ranorex currently does not support WP8 apps...
http://www.ranorex.com/forum/windows-ph ... tml#p19695
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

joel.heinke

Post by joel.heinke » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:37 pm

No, I'm asking about apps on Win8 on x86 targeted for use on Surface Pro tablets. There was a blog posting related to this platform but it said that it was no longer relvant with the Ranorex 4 release.

joel.heinke

Post by joel.heinke » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:51 pm

To give full context on this question, I'd like to evaluate Ranorex for this scenario and I'm trying to figure out if I install it on the Win8 Pro slate/tablet device itself or on another PC.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:19 pm

OK, I now understand ;) The blog you are referring to is probably this one?...
http://www.ranorex.com/blog/automating- ... -aka-metro

The instructions in this article are obsolete in RX 4.x because RX 4.0 introduced native Metro style apps support. So yes, RX 4.x should work OK with the Win 8 (Metro) GUI elements. In case of problems, check this user guide section about Win 8 apps...
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... html#c4709

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Win 8 tablets, but I'm sure someone else will help you out with your problem.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Hello,

The operating system of Windows Surface Pro tablets is Windows 8 Pro. Ranorex should be able to run tests in the same way as on a normal computer with Windows 8 installed.
You can download the evaluation version of Ranorex in order to test if it is the right tool for your needs.
Please let me know if you face any issues running your tests on the surface tablet.
Thank you!

Regards,
Bernhard

joel.heinke

Post by joel.heinke » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Bernhard,
I have downloaded the evaluation and hit a snag. The KeePass sample doesn't seem to work on Win8 Pro OS. It doesn't even get past KeePass login window. I tried the same KeePass sample on Ranorex eval installed on Win 7 and it works fine. Can you provide me an automation sample that does work on Win 8 Pro?

In addition, my real evaluation goal is to understand Ranorex capabilities for Win 8 Pro Modern UI apps (versus Windows desktop UI app running on Win 8 Pro). Can you provide an automation sample for a Modern UI app?

Thanks,
Joel

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Hello Joel,

I tested it on my Windows 8 machine and is worked without problems. Is Ranorex Studio started as administrator? If not, you are not able to run the test in debug mode. Please try to start the test without the attached debugger.
Can you please provide more information if this is not the problem. Do you get any error messages when you try to run the test?

We do not have a specific Win 8 Pro Modern UI app, but you can try to test the Internet Explorer App.
Please read the section "Automating Windows 8 Style UI Apps" in our user guide in order to get more information how to test Windows 8 UI Apps.

Regards,
Bernhard