Windows 10 - IE/Edge - Flex : cannot instrument Ranorex

Ask general questions here.
Mariya

Windows 10 - IE/Edge - Flex : cannot instrument Ranorex

Post by Mariya » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Hello,

I am trying to run our regression test suite on Windows 10.
Ranorex 6.0.2
Windows 10 Pro
IE 11.633.10586.0
or MS Edge 25.10586.0.0

Our application is build on Flex so to start I need to run Ranorex Instrumental Wizard to Install Flash Debugger for browser. And here come my questions:
1. How I can install Flash Debugger for MS Edge? It is not in the list of available browsers on Ranorex Instrumentation Wizard. I have found out on your forum that debugger is already build into Edge so we do not need to install it separately. But when I try to Spy object on our application that is opened on MS Edge - Ranorex does not recognize objects inside the Flex page. How can I overpass that?

2. While installing Flash Debugger for IE I encounter error immidiately after download is finished:
"An error occured while installing. Error code -2145124329. Please make sure that all your browsers are closed"
I have verified before installation that all borwsers are closed. No Skype or no other application was running just system processed in backgroud. Can it be due to Cortana? Please advise how I can solve the issue.

Thank you in advance,
Mariya

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 - IE/Edge - Flex : cannot instrument Ranorex

Post by Support Team » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:55 pm

Hello Mariya,

Due to technical limitations, Flash instrumentation with the Ranorex PreLoader for Internet Explorer/Edge is not supported on Windows 10. The reason for this is that Microsoft does currently not support the debug player on Windows 10. According to Adobe support there is currently no estimate as to if or when the debug player will be supported on Windows 10.

I would suggest also having a look at the corresponding discussions in the Adobe forum:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1943214
https://forums.adobe.com/message/7841726#7841726

As a workaround, you will need to instrument the flash application manually like described in our user guide. You could either load the Ranorex Lib into your Flash/Flex application or load the Ranorex Module into your Flash/Flex application.

The second option would be using a different web browser. The Ranorex pre-loader approach still works fine for Firefox. Since every web browser simply hosts the embedded Flash/Flex application, the behavior should be identical in different browsers. Therefore, it might be sufficient to only test Flash/Flex in one browser.

I hope this information will help you.

Sincerely,
Johannes

Mariya

Post by Mariya » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:07 pm

Thank you for explanation and advice

Mariya

Post by Mariya » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:20 am

HI Johannes,

We have added lib to the installation of our application and now I can use IE with Renorex. I was supposed that it will instriment flesh application for all browsers but when I try to use Chrome - am still getting message that I need first to instrument browser. This way does not work for Google Chrome?

Thank you
Mariya

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:25 pm

Hello Mariya,

If the application was correctly instrumented via our library, it should be possible to test the AUT (application under test) also with Google Chrome.

Anyhow, flash applications within Google Chrome do not require to be instrumented via the Ranorex library. You can also perform the pre-loader instrumentation:
  • • Download flash debug player: flash debug player
    • Uninstall currently installed flash player, please follow these steps: Uninstall flash
    • Install flash debug player
    • Enable pre-loader instrumentation for Google Chrome.
    PreloaderInstrumentation.png
    • Disable internal flash player: Instruction
I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.