Windows 10 version 1709 update--causing failures?

Ask general questions here.
Darwin

Windows 10 version 1709 update--causing failures?

Post by Darwin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:29 pm

THREE TIMES yesterday my automation suite ran just fine--all test cases passing and happy-happy reports showing up in my inbox.

Then our Win10 VM suddenly started failing today--spectacularly so. There are multiple controls that are no longer being found by Ranorex, and I'm finding myself looking at the prospect of wading through the repository re-mapping multiple control paths. I am beside myself trying to understand WTH happened overnight.

The AUT did not change. The test suite did not change. All I can see is that "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709" was "Successfully installed on 12/28/2017", and now my automation is blowing up.

Is anyone else experiencing this?!

Darwin

Re: Windows 10 version 1709 update--causing failures?

Post by Darwin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:31 pm

To note, this is version 7.2.1. I am looking to upgrade to 8.0 after the New Year.

In the meantime I'd just like to know why my entire test suite went from passing with flying colors to suddenly being unable to find a whole slew of controls. The AUT did not change. The test automation code did not change.

The only thing new that I can find is Windows 10 being updated. I tried uninstalling those updates, but two of the six entries would not let me. Then upon rebooting the damn thing just reinstalled several of the updates.

I find myself having to re-map controls, like the button below, as if this is a brand-new AUT.

Original XPath:

Code: Select all

/form[@wpfnative='True' and @title~'^Data\ Management\ So' and @processname='JobCreator']/?/?/container[@automationid='mainWinGrid']/container[@automationid='deviceListPage']//button[@automationid='deviceListPageNextBtn']
New XPath:

Code: Select all

/form[@classname='Window' and @orientation='None']/button[@automationid='deviceListPageNextBtn']
Microsoft Updates (terse descriptions from MSFT as usual):
4058043 -- "Microsoft Store" updates
Security Update for Adobe Flash Player
4054022 -- "This update makes stability improvements for the Windows 10 Version 1709 servicing stack."
4057247 -- "This update includes reliability improvements for the upgrade experience to Windows 10 Version 1709"

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:57 pm

That Windows 10 update seems to install a complete new OS version, maybe that screwed up your Ranorex installation?
Do you get any warning or technology limitation messages?
Have you tried to reinstall or repair Ranorex?
Darwin wrote: I find myself having to re-map controls, like the button below, as if this is a brand-new AUT
Don't do that already, the paths you posted indicate that the Ranorex WPF plugin is not jumping in where it should. Can you also post a Ranorex snapshot of you app?

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Thanks for the follow-up. I did upgrade to Ranorex 8.0--I figured what do I have to lose at this point--and it alleviated some of the problems. However there are still a few controls not being found.

I will have to update later with snapshot and such. I'm under the weather currently.

Darwin

Post by Darwin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:56 am

OK--so in course of addressing this I did the following:

1. Installed Ranorex 8.0 -- partially addressing issue
2. Uninstalled AUT
3. "Repaired" Ranorex installation (this was probably unnecessary)
4. Re-installed AUT

Looks like XPaths are back to normal--I've had one successful run of suite so far.

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:44 am

Great, thank you for reporting back!

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team