You guys may end up owing us commission!

Ask general questions here.
carsonw

You guys may end up owing us commission!

Post by carsonw » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Last night my friend/mentor/team lead and I presented our journey through automation where we showed our successes, failures, what we had learned etc.

We presented to a group of QA and developer professionals and one of the things we spoke about was our migration away from QTP and towards Ranorex. We didn't want to focus too much on our tools of choice, but we did want to talk about why we made the decisions we did, even if just briefly.

After the presentation there were many, many questions as to why we chose Ranorex over QTP, I was surprised at the level of interest in the actual tool. There were a couple people as well whose company was about to purchase QTP and I think we gave them something to think about!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you've got some good press from us here in BC, Canada and hopefully something comes of it :P

IanF

Re: You guys may end up owing us commission!

Post by IanF » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:22 am

I spent a lot years in the QTP/Winrunner world, I am currently using Ranorex which I recomended to my current employer after having no luck with Visual Studio Coded UI.

I may not have used Ranorex for very long but my observation is that it is at it's price point for a good reason. Object recogntion and maintenance is way ahead of VS UIMAPS but falls behind badly when compared to QTP. Developing scripts in C# offers a lot more power but none of this is any good if object recognition and maintenace is poor.

I know a new framework layer in on the way for Ranorex but I wonder how good it will be with the underlying issues in Ranorex.

I know there are fans of how Ranorex handles objects and I will most likely be shouted down for being negative but this is the way I see it as it stands now. If Ranorex wants to play in the big pool it needs to improve its game.
Ian Fraser

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:56 am

carsonw wrote:Anyway, I just wanted to say that you've got some good press from us here in BC, Canada and hopefully something comes of it
Thank you very much! It's a pleasure being recommended. Be assured that we will give our best to make Ranorex meet the expectations! :)
IanF wrote:Object recogntion and maintenance is way ahead of VS UIMAPS but falls behind badly when compared to QTP
Just wondering: What kind of UI technology (e.g. WinForms, WPF, MFC, Java, Web, ...) do you automate? The reason I ask is that usually we hear that the opposite is true regarding object recognition when compared to QTP, i.e. that Ranorex is more stable and provides better object recognition.
We would definitely like to improve in those sectors where we still got deficiencies in our object recognition.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

IanF

Post by IanF » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:44 pm

I have sent you guys emails that were not answered.

I highlighted the issue with straight html.
Ian Fraser

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Hello Ian,

I am wondering to hear about that since all emails you sent to [email protected] were answered.
It seems that we didn't receive them.
Please send the emails again that were not answered.
We will do our best to answer emails as quickly as possible.

Regards,
Bernhard
Ranorex Support Team