Solution settings can be stored either in a solution or on the local machine. In the 'Settings' dialog, solution settings are shown in italic font.
At the bottom of the 'Settings' dialog, a short info text indicates where the solution settings are currently stored.
Solution settings stored on machine
Solution settings are automatically saved to the local machine and used during test execution, if:
- you work in Ranorex Studio and no solution is loaded.
- you work in Ranorex Studio and a solution is loaded, but the solution does not include solution settings.
- you work in Ranorex Recorder, Ranorex Spy or Ranorex Settings (started as standalone tool).
The solution settings stored on the local machine are used as default for newly created solutions in Ranorex Studio.
The info text at the bottom of the 'Settings' dialog indicates that the solution settings are stored on the local machine (highlighted in red in the screenshot below).
Solution settings stored in solution
In newly created solutions, solution settings are automatically saved in the corresponding solution settings file and used during test execution (starting with Ranorex 6.1).
In the following situations, the solution settings are automatically saved in its corresponding solution settings file and used during test execution:
- Ranorex Studio during test creation and test execution
- 'Settings' dialog in Ranorex Studio
- Ranorex Spy (as part of Ranorex Studio, opened with "View Spy" and "EDIT" at a repository item)
- Settings dialog in Ranorex Spy (as part of Ranorex Studio)
The info text at the bottom of the 'Settings' dialog indicates that the settings are saved in the solution. The title of the dialog shows which solution the settings are saved in (highlighted in red in the screenshot below).
Location of the solution settings file
The solution settings are saved in the settings file 'Ranorex.rxsettings', which is located in the 'Solution Items' folder of the corresponding solution.
- Do not change the name of the folder or the file.
- If you remove the settings file ("Ranorex.rxsettings"), the solution settings stored on the local machine are automatically used during test execution.
- If you open the settings file, it is shown in its raw format. It is not recommended to edit the file in this view.
If a solution does not contain a settings file, you can add it following these instructions: Add a solution settings file to a solution
Solution settings and test execution
The solution settings file 'Ranorex.rxsettings' is automatically copied into the output directory of the test project. It is saved in the same folder as the test executable. This is why the solution settings will be used for test execution.
- Do not rename the solution settings file.
- When deploying the test executable, make sure to include the solution settings.
If the solution settings are not stored in the same folder as the test executable, the solution settings from the local machine will be used.
Solution settings and Ranorex Remote
When selecting a solution for remote test execution, the solution settings saved in this solution will automatically be sent to the Ranorex Agent and used during test execution.
If the solution does not include a solution settings file, the solution settings stored locally on the Ranorex Agent's machine will automatically be used during test execution.