Analyze a recording
In this chapter, you’ll learn more about the Recorder working environment and analyze the recording of the example test.
Recorder working environment
The Recorder working environment has four regions.
Located in the upper left, the projects view displays all files that are created and managed as part of a test project in a folder hierarchy.
Located in the lower left, the module browser shows all modules and module groups that can be used to build tests.
- The steps you recorded appear as actions in the action table.
- They are listed in the order they were executed.
- In our example, the list contains five actions.
- Repository items are representations of UI elements.
- Each UI element affected by an action during recording is referenced by a corresponding repository item.
- In our example, there are four UI elements organized in two folders.
Action table analysis
Let’s have a closer look at the five actions in the action table.
Example action table
- This action represents the click
intothe name text field.
- The last column of this action contains a reference to the repository item that represents the UI element ‘EnterYourName’ (i.e. the name text field).
- This action represents the text input into the name text field.
- In our example, Harry is the input, and the UI element ‘EnterYourName’ is the target.
- Action #4 represents the click on the Submit button in the Demo App.
- The Submit button UI element is referenced in the last column by a corresponding repository item.
- The test validation is also represented as an action.
- Ranorex matches the text in the changed welcome message against a reference text.
- This action represents clicking on Reset to reset the welcome message.
Our example contains four repository items organized in two folders. Each repository item corresponds to a UI element in the application under test. Let’s have a closer look at them.
Item #1 –
This repository item represents the name text field of the Demo App.
Item #2 – BtnSubmitUserName
This repository item represents the Submit button of the Demo App.
Item #3 – Reset
This repository item represents the Reset link of the Demo App.
Item #4 – LblWelcomeMessage
This repository item represents the text label that contains the welcome message of the Demo App.
The link between actions and repository items
Recorded actions and repository items are managed and stored separately, but they are linked to each other.
The link between an action and a repository item
Actions referencing UI element(s)
Both the mouse click into the name text field (action #1) and the Harry text input into the name text field (action #2) affect the same UI element. Therefore, they are both linked to the ‘EnterYourName’ (item #1) repository item that represents this UI element.
- UI elements are represented by repository items.
- Repository items have a name (e.g.
EnterYourName) and a location in the GUI (=path).
To learn how to add UI elements to the repository manually, and add actions to a recording that aren’t connected to repository items, watch our video ⇢ Ranorex Studio Recorder basics 5: Add elements and actions manually
Download the sample solution
You can download the sample solution used for this chapter below.
Unzip to any folder on your computer.
Start Ranorex Studio and open the solution