QA tester, automation specialist, automation systems engineer — these are just a few of the names for a test automation engineer. No matter what their title may be, they're essential to the software development life cycle, so here's a look at what they do. Markets and...
Automate Android system apps
- check if an issued notification has been received
- share something on a social network
- change the system settings
- To automate system apps the setting ‘Android OS Automation’ has to be enabled. The setting can be found in the mobile section of the plugin specific settings in ⇢settings dialog.
- To speed up the test execution of system app automation you can disable the generation of screenshots for android. The setting can be found in the mobile section of the plugin specific settings in ⇢settings dialog.
Enable Android OS automation
- To automate system apps a USB connection has to be established.
- Highlighting on the device does not work for system apps
Validate an Issued Notification
The following example will show how to validate a text in a received notification.
Create a new recording and select the mobile option as usual. Ranorex Spy will open and you will notice a node labeled ‘MobileApp AndroidOS’ at the application level in the object tree.
System app in Spy
To navigate through the element tree you can either use the tree view. Another way to navigate is to use the image navigator which can be found at the bottom of the Overview/Advanced tab. Clicking a UI element selects it, double-clicking outside the selected element selects the parent.
To open the notification bar, a swipe action from the top of the screen has to be performed. Navigate to a tree element including the navigation bar in the representing screenshot and add this element to the repository using the context menu.
Add a system app container to the repository
Add a swipe action by dragging/dropping the newly created repository item to the actions table and choosing ‘Swipe Action’ as action type from the context menu.
Add a swipe gesture action
In the properties pane set the swipe direction to ’90°’ and the start location to ‘0.5;0.0’ which is the top center of the element.
Set properties of the swipe action
Manually open the notification bar on your device and switch back to Ranorex Spy. Navigate through the element tree until you’ll find the element you want to validate.
Identify the element to validate
Add the specific element to the repository and add a validation action on the repository item as described before.
Additionally add a key press on the back button to return to the initial situation.
After adding these three actions, the recording is ready to be executed.