Ranorex Studio 8.0.1 Release (February 7, 2018)
- Updated the adb (Android Debug Bridge) tool used for USB connections to Android devices to v1.0.39
- Fixed NavigateUri not being identified as an Url by the Wpf plugin
- Fixed Ranorex Studio manifest being installed even when deselected during setup
- Resizing of “Manage data sources” dialog allowed again
- Fixed ElementEngine.WaitForValidLicense() method causing a floating license to remain leased after the test has finished
- Fixed saving over existing report file producing an empty report
- Fixed reverse display of full-size image and its thumbnail in report of difference images
- Fixed the “Local copy” property automatically changing to false for Ranorex.pdf reference after project reload
- Fixed handling of Validate.NotExists in maintenance mode
- Fixed adapter.functionexecutiontimeout setting not being saved as solution setting
- Fixed unbound variable warnings in report for unbound variables in module groups
- Fixed sorting algorithm for Win32.Instance attribute causing possible unstable values
- Fixed connection issue to Android Endpoint after adb is bridged over TCPIP/WiFi
- Fixed iOS app crash after application delegate is set to nil
- Fixed iOS app crash when highlighting iOS text elements
- Fixed Chrome plugin to show DOM trees if there is no dash used to separate page and page title
- Fixed folder paths containing ‘x64’ causing automation issues for QT
- Fixed command line handling of arguments containing spaces when invoked from PowerShell
- Fixed standalone Recorder for mobile recordings
- Fixed error when defining absolute output path in Studio project settings
Ranorex Studio 8.0.0 Release (December 13, 2017)
- Maintenance mode: Pauses the test upon an exception and lets you analyze and correct errors such as wrong expected values. Then continue the test in maintenance mode and if it goes through, apply your changes in the report.
- Simplified test deployment: Ranorex tests can be generated as portable packages, so there is no Ranorex Runtime installation required.
- Ranorex 8.0 UI refreshment: We have reduced the menu bar to the most essential items and restyled it in a new dark theme.
- Improved key sequence handling during recording
- WebDriver endpoints can now be edited
- Limit the size of Ranorex log files to 10Mb by default
- WPF elements expose URI locator property for resources
- Included support for Android 8.0 when using Appium
- Fixed Ranorex Studio sometimes freezing at startup if a recent project pointed to a non-existing network location
- Fixed test suites being corrupted when upgrading from 5.4 to newer versions of Ranorex Studio
- Fixed issue where references to Ranorex assemblies could not be resolved in Visual Studio 2017
- Fixed project names with multi-byte characters not displaying correctly on the Ranorex Studio start page
- Fixed issue where multi-byte whitespace characters not showing when “Show invisible characters in values” is enabled
- Fixed issue where “Replace expected image” does not work when using zipped reports
- Fixed issue where rectangles of centered GDI text elements where miscalculated in ANSI applications
- Fixed issue where agent crashes when exiting while still initializing (Ranorex Remote Agent 3.0.3)
- Fixed issue where RxBrowser does not fill the whole screen in landscape mode
- DOM/tab Elements are duplicated if two or more Firefox windows are positioned exactly on top of each other
- Invoking Ranorex tests from powershell with arguments that contain spaces does not work
- Android web elements stay highlighted when using highlight on hover
- Web automation using browser extensions still needs a Ranorex installation (to get the browser instrumentation working)
- Maintenance mode still needs a Ranorex installation
- Folder path containing ‘x64’ will cause automation issues for QT in case Ranorex is not installed
- The .NET Framework 4.5.2 (or higher) is now required for both Ranorex tools and runtime
- Recording on mobile devices discontinued
- Manual instrumentation for Android automation discontinued
- Duplicate capability short names are no longer allowed
- Changes in the Testing and Reporting API
Ranorex Studio 7.2.1 Release (November 7, 2017)
- Updated the apktool used for instrumenting Android apps to v2.3.0
- Fixed issue where duplicate DOM nodes could show up in Ranorex Spy when automating Firefox
- Fixed issue where uninstalling Firefox extension through instrumentation wizard does not work
- Fixed switching of tabs with EnsureVisible in Firefox
- Fixed issue where WPF instrumentation shows misleading “Idle (pid 0)” warning
- Fixed issue where duplicate WPF elements are shown in spy tree
- Fixed issue where FontStyle attribute is not read correctly from RawText element
- Fixed issue where automation causes SUT to crash if stack commit size was set too large in application PE header
- Fixed visible state of QTWebEngine DOM element
- Fixed issue where the Pressed attribute value is not set correctly for android switch elements
- Fixed issue where some files where not added to SVN while downloading Automation Helpers via NuGet
- Fixed issue where logging after test suite is completed could result in empty jUnit report
- Fixed issue where data source mask dropdown was not updated correctly
- Fixed issue where Report.Failure() not displayed consistently in report when called from a side thread
- Fixed issue where test suite gets corrupted when upgrading from 5.4 to newer versions of Ranorex Studio
- Fixed issue where agent does not notify if user interaction is needed. (Ranorex Remote Agent 2.0.14)
- Fixed issue where remote execution fails if files contain multi-byte characters
Ranorex Studio 7.2.0 Release (September 20, 2017)
- Replace expected image with actual image: Reduce maintenance efforts for image-based validations by replacing the expected image with the actual image directly in the report.
- ParallelRunner for WebDriver: Run web tests in parallel on Selenium Grid endpoints by defining a set of desired capabilities and distributing them using the new parallel runner.
- Automation Helpers: Comfortably extend your solution with a collection of small and handy modules and methods to handle daily challenges in test automation.
- Auto-rerun failed test cases: Reduce instabilities caused by temporary unresponsiveness of the application under test by automatically rerunning failed test cases.
- Hidden Characters in reports: New option to display white spaces and normally hidden characters in element validation report entries
- JUnit – Error Breadcrumb: The JUnit report now holds the breadcrumb to the error in the test suite
- Error counting in report: The counting of the attributes totalsuccesscount, totalfailedcount, totalblockedcount in the report include test cases and smart folders.
- WebDriver browser control: “StartBrowser” and “CloseBrowser” are available via “Invoke Action” from endpoints pad.
With this you can directly start sessions to explore the DOM and element tree of your page.
- Browser Plugin: The Firefox plugin for web automation has been reimplemented based on WebExtensions and enables automation in Firefox versions 50 and above.
The plugin is available through side-loading by utilizing the Instrumentation Wizard. The previous Firefox plugin is not included in the setup anymore.
- Neoload: New source code based NuGet packages are available to support NeoLoad
- Unresponsive WPF applications are reported during test execution
- Included support for adding Appium servers as WebDriver endpoints for mobile web testing in native browsers (Safari on iOS, Chrome on Android)
- Fixed attribute “Checked” in CEF plugin not changing
- Fixed resetting to default WPF tree building mode
- Fixed JUnit report containing bad/incomplete XML
- Fixed reporting of TestSuite.Current.CurrentTestContainer.Status and CurrentIterationContainer.Status
- Fixed Studio copying unused files to the output directory
- Fixed search functionality in Studio’s NuGet package manager
- Fixed Studio not showing “Restart as administrator” in certain cases
- Fixed performance lag while editing code in large solutions with multiple project references
- Fixed Spy showing wrong screenshot when tracking in CefSharp applications
- Fixed license issue when using Element.FindFromPoint in a test at runtime
- New browser plugin for Firefox:
- Does not support automation of Flash or Java contents
- As with Chrome, instant tracking of items from a “select” element returns no usable result in Spy. Select individual items manually from the parent control instead
- High-DPI settings will lead to unsuccessful test runs. If your environment runs with a DPI scaling > 100%, open about:config and change the layout.css.devPixelsPerPx preference to 1.0 (default is -1.0).
- iOS: When using Appium for automating web sites, the currently open browser session is not completely ended when using CloseBrowser action, leading to errors when retrying the automation. Close browser instances started by Appium manually to avoid this behavior.
- iOS/Android: Only a single concurrent session is supported when automating web sites using Appium
- Appium: When tracking into DOMs using Ranorex Spy, the rectangle/screenshot retrieval may add an offset causing screenshots to be off, especially when the SUT is not optimized for mobile (Desktop mode).
- Using the word “plugin” in the solution name may cause an exception when the solution is run. Use a different name instead.
- The previous Firefox plugin is not included in the setup anymore
Ranorex Studio 7.1.3 Release (October 11, 2017)
- Fixed faulty XML appearing in JUnit reports from multiple runs of the same test suite when using a static report name
- Fixed an issue where an exception would be thrown when opening a dialog a second time during test execution in WpfImprovedOnly mode
- Fixed an issue where instead of only the .dlls with ‘Local copy’ enabled, all referenced .dlls would be copied to the output folder when building a solution
- Fixed performance issues when a solution references projects using assembly references
- Fixed an issue where an exception would be thrown when creating/opening a solution while viewing the details of an endpoint
- Fixed an issue where test suites with unnamed run configurations couldn’t be loaded after being upgraded by Ranorex Studio 6 or later
Ranorex Studio 7.1.2 Release (September 07, 2017)
- Updated the apktool used for instrumenting Android apps to v2.2.4
- Fixed swipe causing app crashes on iOS11
- Fixed unstable WinForms test execution caused by memory and performance releated issues
- Fixed issue where CEF plugin identifies CefSharp applications as electron
- Fixed issue where CefSharp elements are tracked on the wrong position
Ranorex Studio 7.1.1 Release (August 11, 2017)
- Fixed issue where application could hang forever when AUT shows modal dialog on CloseWindow action
- Fixed possible ObjectDisposedException when using “CloseApplication” on WinForms elements
- Fixed log verbosity in CEF plugin when no NLog.config is present
- Fixed possible exception in CEF plugin when style attributes are empty
- Fixed WebDriver plugin not able to launch html files from file system
- Fixed WebDriver plugin omitting leading/trailing whitespaces for strings
- Fixed changing ID for endpoints when solution is opened
- Fixed issue where changing an endpoint in record item does not update generated code
- Added preliminary support for iOS 11
- Fixed issue where some QT applications cannot be tracked properly
- Fixed issue where intermediate D3D Window element prevents web automation
- Fixed QT technology limitation shown after Windows Update
- Fixed exception when trying to save readonly project
- Fixed issue where snapshot creation fails on some machines
- Fixed issue in installer when installing Ranorex side-by-side with Beta versions
- Fixed Ranorex Studio crash when copying a test case with a name longer than 100 characters
- Fixed issue where relative paths could be handled incorrectly when upgrading a solution
- Fixed issue where specific recording modules could not be loaded
- Fixed issue where report shows wrong warning count
- Fixed JUnit report not being created when test suite is executed as Coded UI Test
- Fixed Ranorex Report not being finished after execution with Coded UI Test
- Fixed an issue that resetting Solution Settings to default does not reset WpfImprovedOnly setting
- Internal logging for Ranorex Studio and automation processes is now enabled by default
with a rolling file being stored for 3 days.
If you want to disable logging (e.g. for saving disk space), modify the NLog.config in
your Ranorex installation folder and copy it to the location of your test executable.
- Some application specific issues with WinForms automation are still under investigation, in particular a potential memory leak
Ranorex Studio 7.1.0 Release (June 28, 2017)
- Conditions: Test cases and smart folders can be run conditionally based on data from a data source or parameters.
- Synchronization: The WaitFor action in the Ranorex Recorder’s action table has been extended.It now supports waiting for specific attribute values to synchronize the application under test with the automated test(e.g. wait for an element to become visible or wait for a status text to contain “completed”).
- Data sources: Cloning of data sources is now possible for test cases and smart folders.
- Collaboration: The object repository can now get auto-merged in various conflicting situations after concurrent modifications (when version control integration with GIT or SVN is in use).
- Validation: New method to validate that the value of a UI item’s attribute does not equal (“NotEqual”) a given value. The method is available through the API but also in the recorder’s action table.
- Ranorex WebDriver Integration API has been extended to allow access to the underlying driver implementation. A sample solution is available for download.
- Browser window size: Ranorex now allows setting the browser window size when working with Selenium WebDriver.
- Configurations: A WebDriver endpoint can have multiple configurations.
- Performance: Optimized WebDriver performance for grid and cloud scenarios.
- Support for SAP TreeTable control
- Support for lazy loaded SAP grids
- Open sessions are shown in endpoint details view
- The report now provides information about the endpoint the test run was executed on
- Included an API for managing endpoints at runtime
- Adapter class now provides a “Parent” property
- Fixed incorrect element rectangles when using CEF/Electron
- Fixed issue where text was retrieved incorrectly for GDI applications
- Fixed potential crash of AUT when using GDI plugin
- Fixed issue where text is not returned for some SAP tree views
- Fixed “Press” action not working on SAP overlay buttons.
- Fixed issue in RxBrowser where alert pop-ups could not be closed
- Fixed possible Ranorex Studio freeze at startup
- Fixed Ranorex Studio freeze when trying to connect to Oracle DB using OLE DB provider
- Fixed issue where changes made to a record item did not mark the file as changed
- Fixed issue where two JUnit reports are created resulting in wrong TFS test result
- Fixed possible error when pasting module groups with multiple bindings
- Fixed build error when setting .NET version to 4.6 for Ranorex Studio projects
- Fixed issue where solution cannot be added to SVN repository if option “Save authentication” is unchecked at the login
- Fixed error that prevented modules from referenced projects from being run when not used in test suite
- Fixed performance issue when checking/unchecking tests inside a test suite
- Fixed performance issue when opening test suites with many data connectors
- Fixed mobile devices can not be removed with standalone tools
- Fixed TestSuiteRunner does not show correct solution settings
- For NeoLoad projects app.config needs to be updated
- Support for legacy Firefox versions has been dropped: 3.6, 10, 17, 24, 31, 38
Ranorex Studio 7.0.1 Release (April 26, 2017)
- Fixed GetActiveTestContainers() returns empty List
- Fixed offset of RawText elements
- Fixed Firefox Extension provides invalid Table/DOM in certain cases
- Fixed import and export functionality of global settings
- Fixed object recognition when more than one CEF window is active in WPF application (CefSharp)
Ranorex Studio 7.0.0 Release (March 29, 2017)
- WPF: More intelligent and comfortable object recognition for standard and third party controls
Frequently asked questions
- Web Testing: Added support for Microsoft Edge, Safari (macOS), Chrome (Linux) and Firefox (Linux) in web test automation through WebDriver integration
- Test Suite: Improved behavior and structure, both in test suite and report, to better comply with JUnit report format
- Introduced new automation root switching, which directs element recognition and test execution to the selected endpoint (mobile device or Selenium hub)
- Added a warning when performing mouse/pointer actions outside an element’s boundaries caused by a relative location
- The “Open Browser” recording action now allows to turn on “Kill Existing” and “Clear Cookies” options
- The test suite now provides an option to generate an additional report file in JUnit format
- Improved merging of repository items into an existing repository if moving/copying a recording from one project to another
- Introduced “smart folder” in the test suite that allows grouping, iteration, and data binding without counting as a test case
- Support iterating test cases and smart folders without the need for data binding
- Improved visual appearance and usability of the Studio start page
- Ranorex agents no longer use port 29189 for communication, but rely solely on port 8081
- Fixed offset issues with screenshots taken from mobile devices if hidden screenshot capturing is turned off
- Fixed module group descriptions not being shown in the report
- Fixed opening compressed reports more than once if they contain read-only files
- Fixed a possible unhandled exception in Studio when trying to add COM references
- Fixed problem that user code methods may not be available from a user code library which is also the base class of a recording
- You may experience small performance lags in the test suite editor when copying/moving large structures within a test suite, e.g. when dragging these structures or when navigating through the test suite and pasting the copied nodes.
- Please note that support for various actions depends on specific WebDriver implementations, which may cause specialized operations to fail on specific browser/platform combinations.
- The currently released Safari driver implementation is known to be unstable when executing tests. If test runs fail, check the WebDriver log file to find out where the problem occurred.
- There is a known issue with the IE driver that causes KeySequence actions to be slow and ultimately run into a timeout when automating via WebDriver (see github.com)
- Object recognition may fail for WPF applications if the application itself hosts a .NET Remoting service
Breaking changes (to 6.X)
- Nesting a test case in another test case is not allowed anymore -> use smart folders instead of test cases
- Running Studio or tests on Windows XP will show a technology limitation warning that Windows XP support will be dropped in a future Ranorex version
- Licensing: when executing multiple test runs in parallel, each run/process requires its own runtime license
- The report transformation file (xslt) as well as the stylesheet (css) file have changed due to a new layout as well as due to changes in the report data file. Custom reports created with previous versions (e.g. Ranorex 6.2) might not be fully compatible with the new format. Learn how to update your custom report here: Upgrading custom report files to 7.0.
- Changes in the Testing and Reporting API