Before you start recordingTo work professionally and efficiently, a few but important preparations are necessary. We recommend getting used to serious test preparation prior to any recording action independent from the size of the test project.
Recording recommendationsReferring to the Ranorex Recorder and your application under test (AUT), there are some important recommendations which make your test life easier and your work more efficient.
Application under test (AUT)Applying Ranorex in an efficient and time-saving way comes along with the understanding of a few important concepts, methods and – of course – tool knowledge. This knowledge is explained by means of a designated Ranorex demo application.
Downloading demo application
/Downloads/folder of your system.
Default storage folder for demo application
Starting the applicationBefore planning a test in detail, it is recommended to open the application which is to be tested to ensure that it is installed properly and can be used during the test.
Opening Ranorex demo application
Planning the recordingTo avoid too much effort in cleaning up recordings we advise you to consider the below-listed recommendations:
- Think about the steps which are to be recorded during a recording
- Prepare necessary input data (i.e. username, password)
- We recommend to perform the test manually first and record afterward
- Keep recordings as small as possible
- Keep in mind that larger test cases can be built of small – and possibly re-useable – recordings in a modular way
Recording of mouse movements
- By default, mouse movements are not recorded without mouse clicks
- When navigation through menus is important for the test, use mouse clicks for detection, or use the option for recording mouse movements within the Recorder control center
Test definitionThe introduction to Ranorex Recorder and its application follows a simple explanation example in five steps which is defined herein.
1. Open Ranorex demo application
2. Insert ‘Harry‘ into the name text field and click Submit
Inserting & submitting a name
3. Verify, if the welcome message changes properly
4. Reset the changed welcome message
5. End the demo application & stop the recording
Recorder default settingsThe recording is controlled by many setting options. After download and installation these Recorder settings are set to a defined default state which is found to be adequate for most, but of course not all recording requirements.
Global & local Recorder settings