Working environment & viewsThe working environment of Ranorex Studio is a central place to control and manage a test solution with all of its parts. Therefore, it is useful to have a closer look at it.
Structure of this chapter
Basic working environment structureThe basic structure of the working environment is simple and follows a common principle. See the below-displayed overview for a first introduction.
Basic working environment structure
Project file view
- A Ranorex Studio project is based on files and uses the same project file format as Microsoft Visual Studio 2008/2010.
- The project view shows all files and references currently associated with the project.
Module browser view
- The module browser view lists all available modules (code & recording modules) based on the project’s code files and module groups based on the projects module group file.
- In addition, it shows all the variables defined by a module or module group.
- The view is mainly used to drag and drop and to reuse automation modules and module groups within the test suite view.
- When double-clicking a file in the ‘Project View’ or a module in the ‘Module Browser’, the associated file will be opened in the Studio’s file view
- This view displays all available files, e.g. test suite view, Recorder view with action table and repository, reports, code modules, and many more.
Adding viewsA list of all available views is accessible through the menu > View in the Studio menu bar.
Menu >View in Studio menu bar
The different files and views are introduced and explained in the corresponding chapters of the user guide.
Changing & selecting viewsViews are to be added by selection in the > View menu of the Studio menu bar. Changing views, e.g. switching between active views is done by clicking the corresponding register tab of the file view.
Available register tabs for different files in Studio file view
Test suite view (*.rxtst) Test suite files have the file postfix rxtst = Ranorex test suite
Recorder view (*.rxrec) Recorder files have the file postfix rxrec = Ranorex Recorder
Report file (*.rxlog) Report files have the file postfix rxlog = Ranorex Logfile
An active view can be deleted from the working environment by clicking the X beneath the file name in the register tab.