While competing in the exacting modern software market, many companies find integrating automated testing into their overall testing process beneficial. This guide will help you better understand the different types of automated test solutions and how developers...
This blog post will show you how to record your automated website browser tests; then automatically execute the recorded tests for compatibility on multiple browsers using the Ranorex Studio web automation engine.
In addition to executing web tests on Windows platforms using the Ranorex Studio web automation, you can also use the Selenium integration in Ranorex Studio to expand cross-browser testing to additional operating systems such as macOS and Linux.
For more information about how to use the Selenium integration in Ranorex Studio, please refer to:
Please note that when following the approach described below, you can at any point switch to the Selenium WebDriver integration and vice versa.
Sample Test Suite Project
To demonstrate how to perform a cross-browser test, I’ve chosen a small sample which performs a checkout process on an online store. The test case performing the web test has three parts:
- A setup region containing the module OpenBrowser that starts the browser against which the test will be executed
- CheckOutProcess, the actual recording module containing the test actions
- A teardown region containing the module CloseBrowser that closes the browser after the test actions complete.
To perform these steps not only for IE but also for the other supported browsers, begin by configuring the browser in the OpenBrowser recording module as a variable.
To do this, open the OpenBrowser recording module and click the down arrow in the Browser column. Choose “As new Variable…” and add a new variable called BrowserName.
There are two ways to set up parallel test execution:
- Use Ranorex Remote to automatically deploy and execute your tests on a remote machine running a Ranorex agent. During remote test execution, the Remote Pad keeps you updated on the test performance, while you can continue using your local machine. Once the test has been executed, you’ll receive a notification that the report is ready. Using the Remote Pad, you can execute multiple tests on multiple remote machines in parallel.
- Use the Ranorex Parallel Runner, a command-line tool that allows you to run a test across multiple capability sets on a Selenium Grid through a WebDriver endpoint in parallel.
Automated testing is a crucial part of software development. This guide helps you understand and implement the right types of automated testing for your needs.
Verification and validation in software testing are formal processes of assessing the correctness and completeness of a software product.
APIs and GUIs have different functions and require suitable testing. Ranorex Studio’s test automation gives you the perfect testing program for APIs and GUIs.