Penetration testing, also known as a pen test, pentest, and type of application program interface testing (API testing), is a kind of simulated attack on a computer system. The goal of this kind of cybersecurity testing is to evaluate the overall security level of the...
In the fast-paced world of iOS app development, having a reliable and efficient process for testing is essential. While manual testing can have its benefits, it can also be time-consuming and prone to errors. Automated iOS testing empowers QA teams to test their apps more quickly and ensure better overall test coverage.
Let’s look at how to build an effective automated tested strategy for your team that will ensure you meet the Apple Store’s strict review requirements.
The Benefits of iOS Automated Testing
Faster Test Execution
Automated tests run much faster than manual tests, which can have a far-reaching impact. You can use the additional time gained to run more tests, leading to better test coverage and an improved final product. Or, if you feel satisfied with the amount of testing performed, you may be able to move up your release date or alleviate some development crunch.
Using automated tests also allows you to receive rapid feedback after each code change, and your software will come with built-in reporting tools to allow QA staff to quickly analyze large amounts of data. Automated tests can also be run in parallel on multiple devices or simulators at the same time. This further reduces test execution time, especially for large test suites.
More Consistent and Reliable Tests
Manual tests will always have a significant potential for human error and unintentional variation. Automated iOS testing allows you to ensure that your tests will be executed the same way every time.
Manual testing requires human testers to perform repetitive tasks that can be time-consuming and monotonous. By automating these tasks, you can free up your QA team’s time for more complex and creative testing tasks. Instead of running manual tests on every iOS device you’ll launch on, they can instead perform exploratory testing to identify potential issues that might otherwise have been missed.
While there’s an initial investment in setting up your iOS automated testing tools, the long-term savings are significant. Automated tests reduce the need for a large manual testing workforce and help catch issues earlier in the development cycle, which reduces the cost of fixing bugs.
How to Start iOS Automation Testing
- Identify test scenarios: One of the first steps in moving iOS automation testing is to identify the scenarios you want to test under the new process. You might want to start out with tests you have run before, or very similar ones, as your first trial run.
- Choose an automation framework: Next, you’ll need to choose the right iOS automated testing framework. There are plenty of options to choose from, including Detox, EarlGrey, Appium.
- Select a programming language: You should choose a programming language that is compatible with your iOS app automation testing tools and is easy for your team to work with.
- Build and execute test scripts: It’s best to start your first automated tests with simple test scripts and build complexity as you go. It’s also a good idea to run your test scripts on both simulators and real iOS devices. Simulators are helpful for quick testing iterations, while actual devices replicate real-world conditions.
- Review and refine: Running into the occasional issue when executing your tests is par for the course. As problems arise, talk about them with your team and develop strategies to prevent them from popping up again. If you’re having technical issues with your iOS automated testing tools, check out what kind of support the software offers. Forums are also a great place to troubleshoot and tap into the collective knowledge of other software users.
- Implement CI/CD: Adding continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD) to your process is a great way to automatically test aspects of your software when new code is pushed, enabling you to receive rapid feedback.
- Utilize reports: A good automated iOS testing software will have effective reporting tools built to ensure you can quickly and easily analyze your results.
- Build collaboration: One of the best ways to improve your automated iOS testing process is to ensure you involve as much of your team as possible. By utilizing tools such as record and playback test creation and Gherkin test design language, less experienced developers can help build and execute tests. This improves collaboration and enables your most experienced staff to spend their time on more challenging tasks.
Ranorex’s iOS Automation Testing Features
Ranorex Studio is an iOS automated testing software that offers a powerful suite of tools to ensure robust and efficient testing of your iOS app.
One of Ranorex’s most beneficial features is its ability to run the same test across multiple devices, each with different screen sizes and resolutions, using the RanoreXPath query language. This allows you to test your app on multiple models and versions of iPads and iPhones simultaneously, saving you a significant amount of time.
Ranorex Spy is a reliable iOS UI testing tool with instant tracking functionality. It features object- and image-based validation that allows you to validate control attributes and compare texts and images.
Selecting the right iOS automated testing framework is a crucial step in creating an effective test strategy. One of the most popular choices is Appium, an open-source tool built for cross-platform testing. Appium’s flexibility allows developers to choose from a variety of coding languages and offers access to test databases and APIs. Ranorex Studio uses Appium to perform tests natively on Safari, instead of using a third-party app.
Ranorex Solution Wizard
Ranorex allows you to perform iOS testing on a device or emulator, depending on what works best for your team. Our emulation software has the ability to simulate physical user interaction with inputs such as “touch,” “swipe,” and “change orientation.”
You can also set device-specific parameters such as memory, battery, and CPU state, or details like messages stored on the device. Using the Ranorex Solution Wizard, there’s no need to jailbreak your device.
Start a Free Trial Today
Ready to start building and executing automated iOS tests? Start a free trial of Ranorex Studio to see how much time and energy your team will save.
Learn how automated unit testing saves development teams time and frustration while detecting bugs and software defects that affect your product performance.
Developers and programmers have long been resorting to tools, techniques, and methods to help them better create software applications, with one of them being code profiling. But what is code profiling, and how can it enhance your IT programming projects? Our...